• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help Im Grinding

thegiant80

NAXJA Forum User
Whenever I get above 40 mph and I take my foot off of the gas I get this weird grinding or rumbling noise it will aslo make this noise when I put my foot back on the gas. It sound like it is coming from the rear end but I really havent had a chance to look to far in to things due to work and school. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
Thanks in advance

Is it lifted? I had a grinding noise that happened after I got my 4.5 on when I took my foot off the gas, it seemed like it was coming from my back. I had no clue what it was, and it would happen especially when I was going fast. One person riding along with me was like what the hell is that. It stopped completely with a SYE.

check the diff fluid, make sure there are no metal shavings in it. my rear end made a growling that started around 35mph. replaced the bearings in the rear end and the noise was gone. the side bearings were scored and the pinion bearing was toast.

Sounds like a rear u-joint going out.

It probually wearing faster because of your lift.

An SYE would most defentally stop the abnormal wear.

I have heard of guys not do the SYE and replace the u-joint every year or so....

BUT they are hurting the TC by not installing an SYE, IMO.

Conclusion get an SYE with a longer DS or custom CV DS. :D

Ive had both,...i put the pro comp 3 inch life on years ago and my u-joint made more of a viberating symptom.i guess it could have been a growling.
But my exhaust can sound that way too...if not mounted right..or if theres a significant leak....

Back