• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

White Rim Bike Trail in Moab?

JP_in_STL

NAXJA Member #767
A couple of Mountain Biking buddies of mine want me to drive as the required support vehicle for them on the "White Rim Trail" through the Moab area. Having not been to Moab or even out West to any canyon areas I'm eager to go for the scenery. The trail is listed as a "Jeep Road" and I'm curious as to what's needed to make the trip. I've got a fairly stock XJ and a MJ, currently with AT tires, open diffs, and no skids. I plan for 30 or 31s on the MJ, a 2" lift, skids, and a limited slip in the rear. The XJ would have more room, but I hadn't planned to do much to it yet other than a limited slip in it.

Am I over thinking this? I'm guessing a stock XJ shouldn't have any issues? Anyone been to this area?

- JP

I just did the entire length of the White Rim Trail a couple weeks ago, starting at the Mineral Bottom Road end and ending at the Shafer Switch backs end. Most of the trail did not require 4lo or even 4hi. About the only time I switched into 4lo was while descending or climbing steep switch backs. I don't think a stock XJ would have any problems. The hardest part of the trail was keeping my eyes on the road as the scenery is a very good distraction.

We did the trail in two days, camped at White Crack. I would assume that two days is not enough time by bicycle. I'd like to stretch it out to three days so that we could do some hikes on foot that lead from the White Rim. Camp at White Crack if your plans and availability allow for it. No camp fires are allowed, so bring warm clothes and sleeping bags.

There are plenty of vaulted toliets along the way. Very clean and not foul smelling at all.

Let me know if you have any other questions. You can view my pictures here:

http://www.ilikecoconuts.com/gallery/DavesPictures01

a stocker should be fine. it really is in good shape right now after the rain/snow packed everything down (from what I hear from a friend). It can get dry/sandy in the heat of the summer, but that is a ways off..

as to the duration, two days is a nice pace. I have ridden (bike) in a day (~100 miles), and there are groups that do it in 2, 3 and even 4 days. I think I would be bored on the 4 day trip, but the 2 and 3 versions have side trips and such to occupy the days.

You do know you need an overnight permit to camp right?

have fun, it is beautiful and fun. and tell your buddies, that climb at the end (especially if you do it in a day) is a B(TCH.

;)

g

i was just out in that area sunday and the roads are great a stocker would be fine.

gregclimbs said:
You do know you need an overnight permit to camp right?
Yes, I do know about the permit. Since it looks like the waiting list is rather long we probably won't do this until next year. Maybe by then I'll be in better shape and might bike part of it.

dbxj said:
I just did the entire length of the White Rim Trail a couple weeks ago
dbxj said:
Let me know if you have any other questions. You can view my pictures here:

http://www.ilikecoconuts.com/gallery/DavesPictures01
Your pics look phenomenal. That's the whole reason why I want to go along is the scenery. Is the weather decent enough to go in March? I would think April might be better but I know nothing of the area. Was the trail overly crowded when you were on it? We don't mind dealing with a little weather if that means there are fewer people on the trail.

Thanks for all the info.

- JP

JP_in_STL said:
Is the weather decent enough to go in March? I would think April might be better but I know nothing of the area.
March in Moab can be touchy at best....especialy on a 100 mi bike ride...It can be mid 60s or snowing like crazy. April is really the better month to go.

JP_in_STL said:
Yes, I do know about the permit. Since it looks like the waiting list is rather long we probably won't do this until next year. Maybe by then I'll be in better shape and might bike part of it.

Your pics look phenomenal. That's the whole reason why I want to go along is the scenery. Is the weather decent enough to go in March? I would think April might be better but I know nothing of the area. Was the trail overly crowded when you were on it? We don't mind dealing with a little weather if that means there are fewer people on the trail.

Thanks for all the info.

- JP

We were there during EJS this year (March 19th-26th). We had everything from 60 degrees and sunny to rain to hail to snow. Luckily, the only two days we saw no precipitation was the two days we were on the White Rim. Last year we were there in April and I think we only had one day of rainy weather.

We didn't see that many people at all on the White Rim, even with the weather being perfect. We did see some people, but at times we'd go hours without seeing anyone other then the folks in our group.

My experience with biking the White Rim included 3 inches of snow at the NP Visitors Center while watching the required video for overnight camping on the trail, planned taking an extra support vehicle due to the weather and due to a late start (we all went back to Moab for a warm breakfast while deciding go/no go) Weather in town seemed to clear a bit. We all piled into a Defender 90 and Toyota pickup with all our bikes and gear and drove the first day. Went down mineral bottom w/out incident and then the sky cut loose with hail and lightning. Muddy slippery and sometimes downright scary trail when it's that wet. Sky cleared up when we got to camp (murphys hogback I think), just in time for dinner and a sunset. Next Day was 70+ degrees of perfect blue sky riding weather, got to drive the Defender 90 for a spell. One guy with us made it all the way up the shafer switchbacks on his bike without stopping then lost his lunch. I was first to bail on that climb and hop into a support vehicle, everone else was of the mountain marathon racer veriety of athlete. A great two day adventure...

P.S. that was in June, be prepared...

Drove it with the XJ in stock form as well, no sweat....

Last edited:
you can reserve camping permits a year in advance thru the mail... that would definatley be worth doing if you are serious.

I did this ride in 91 before I knew what a jeep was. We had a bone stock toyota pickup and it was one of the best experiences in my life. Swim in the CO river, sleep under the stars, take some great pics, haul ass down the the first day and know that the climb out is grueling. Look for the wrecked cars that were launched off the cliffs from movies filmed in the 50s and 60s. Watch your shoes for scorps in the AM.

I have yet to MTB back in Moab, but have been in the jeep there twice since. I await my winning lottery ticket so I can retire there.

SeanP

Back