• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on cruise control

IllusionalKnight96

NAXJA Forum User
I have a friend who has a 96 XJ, same year as mine, who is selling the new in box cruise control system that he bought about a year ago. I am trying to figure out if it is even possible for me to install it safely. I am not an idiot, but I'm no mechanic either. Has anyone else done this? Is it a good idea? :confused:

After

Sorry, :( I've only done aftermarkets. Usually though on a dealer supplied item like that it has everything that you will need to install it. In fact I would not be suprised if the wiring harness already has any plugs you will need to adapt it. I would check with the dealer though. Are the XJs the same model i.e. Laredo, Sport, etc. That may make a difference as to what wiring is in place.

I put cruise in my "96. It's really straightforward and easy. Pulling the airbad is a little scary, but if you follow tthe directions with the kit you will be fine. Everything else bolts right into place. It should take less than an hour. This was one of the best mods I did (I do a lot of distance driving). If you have any questions, let me know, but its a pretty easy install. There is maybe two bolts and two screws on the steering wheel and you just have to screw the servo into existing holes under the hood and hook up the cable to the throttle. The airbag pops right off after you unscrew it, then all you have to do is pulll the steering wheel and replace the clock spring.

What kind of harness running do I have to do? Is the harness already there? Also, will I need to run more throtte or control cable between the wheel and servo or what? Any info would help, I decided to have him send it to me, should be here Tuesday.

UPDATE!

I recieved the cruise control kit today and had it almost completely installed in about an hour. I get so nervous working with airbag modules I damn near forgot to put the steering wheel retaining nut back on.

But now I need the following information:

I am an idiot and broke the vacum line which connects between the resivoir and the three-way T intersection that my servo connects to. I shoved the line into the junction and it seems to hold OK but will I need to tape this thing together or get a new line?

The second question I have is the bozo who gave me this kit neglected to include the mounting screws with it. Can one of you fine gentlemen with cruise control please give me a description of the screws so I can visit my local Fastenal and get myself new ones? On a related note can someone give me a size and description of the four screws on the hatch mounted third brake light on a 1994-96 XJ?

Thanks

Back