• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which of These Would You Choose?

jmxj98

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, all. I haven't been on this site for about 8 years! I can't believe it's been that long. I went on one run around that time and had a blast! We owned our XJ for about 10 years and it was one of the best vehicles I've owned.

Right now I have a Land Rover Discovery II and I need something reliable to drive while it's in the shop. I was curious if anyone could help with the decision. The Jeep would mostly be parked, but if it's driven, it will be just around town. At most, about a 2 hour commute a couple of times per month. We were hoping to do an Alaska trip with our two kids, but it looks like that's been put off for this year. Maybe a Texas trip with some light off roading on the way. Here are the options:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/3638187044.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3626927870.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/3634768219.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3566948895.html

It's mostly going to sit with a slow build, as funds allow. I'm torn on the 2006 because of sketchy reliability and electronics. I really think that would make a great overland vehicle for the family, if it's not a problemed child. Otherwise, I'm leaning toward the white XJ.

Thoughts? Thanks! I'm hoping to be more active here.

Hey, all. I haven't been on this site for about 8 years! I can't believe it's been that long. I went on one run around that time and had a blast! We owned our XJ for about 10 years and it was one of the best vehicles I've owned.

Right now I have a Land Rover Discovery II and I need something reliable to drive while it's in the shop. I was curious if anyone could help with the decision. The Jeep would mostly be parked, but if it's driven, it will be just around town. At most, about a 2 hour commute a couple of times per month. We were hoping to do an Alaska trip with our two kids, but it looks like that's been put off for this year. Maybe a Texas trip with some light off roading on the way. Here are the options:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/3638187044.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3626927870.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/3634768219.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3566948895.html

It's mostly going to sit with a slow build, as funds allow. I'm torn on the 2006 because of sketchy reliability and electronics. I really think that would make a great overland vehicle for the family, if it's not a problemed child. Otherwise, I'm leaning toward the white XJ.

Thoughts? Thanks! I'm hoping to be more active here.

I would go with the 06, the white xj seems to be some guy that thinks his grocery getter is better then the rest when its not... The 06 might have more miles than it should for the year, but its also more for the money, I paid close to 20k for my 07 with 50k miles 2 years ago, and I havent had any problems with it yet.

$8,000 is too much for an XJ, even one on a long arm, locked with larger tires. But for an 06 grand that is a fair price with that kind of miles.

If it were me I would choose the blue XJ.

1. because of the super low miles for being a 2000
2. It's basically done! Perfect tire size, appropriate gearing w/lockers and a winch even.

What else could you ask for? Just ask the guy right above me what he's invested in his with out his blood sweat and tears?

Blue 4 door xj sport 7inch total lift, Arb bull bar, air lockers , 4.56 gears, warn winch like new, tom woods driveshaft, pw, Pdl, jet chip Rubicon throttle body and spacer, k&n air filter, on board air compressor, 33 12.5 x terrain tires, rims
, , Rubicon 5.5 inch lift, coil spacers, bilstein shocks, shock mts,, rear leaf springs...over 12 k in extras, rancho steering stabilizer, so much done to it. Gears and lockers were 4500 installed 1100 winch, 750 bullbar put in over 2, recovery kit, Gibson exhaust, four real rock rails.

Thanks, guys. I talked to my wife and oddly enough, she didn't want the 2006 at all. She was freaked out by the mileage on it. Her sister also has a 2007 that has had a few problems, so I guess she's out of that one.

Right now, that leaves the white one or the blue 2000. I wouldn't mind paying near that for the white one and my wife likes the looks of it, but I'm really gunning for the Blue one because of the miles and equipment. With that one, I'll be able to sell the Land Rover and have something that can off-road nearly as well and all I would need is a roof rack and a roof top tent. Or even take the Land Rover money and pick up an expedition trailer.

The dude with the Blue XJ isn't replying to my emails yet. I think I'm getting caught in his spam filter.

Thanks again. Hope to be a part of the XJ family again, soon.

Both the white and blue are good deals for something ready to go. U seriously could not but the rig and put all that stuff on it and keep it under 8k. Go for the lower miles of the two

that can off-road nearly as well

A couple questions.

1. Are rovers really that unreliable?
2. do they really Offroad that good? So good that you think an XJ locked on 33's would be nearly as good?

Not trying to bust you balls, I've always liked them but have never had a chance to really look into one.

A couple questions.

1. Are rovers really that unreliable?
2. do they really Offroad that good? So good that you think an XJ locked on 33's would be nearly as good?

Not trying to bust you balls, I've always liked them but have never had a chance to really look into one.

Hehe I was wondering if someone would pick up on that.

I've had a '85 Toyota Pickup, '96 Tacoma, 2 First Gen 4Runners, '76 FJ-40 Land Cruiser, a '91 4Runner, and a '98 Jeep Cherokee and the Land Rover has been the best of the bunch for off-road use. It also went through quite a bit that a Jeep JK struggled with and an old, Renegade just couldn't make it through. To be fair, none of those were locked. My old Jeep Cherokee did VERY well stock with some mud tires, so I'm assuming that a modded cherokee would perform similarly to how the Land Rover is setup.

My Land Rover is very well built. OME Shocks, OME Springs, OME Steering Stabilizer, ToddCo 1.5" Lift Blocks, Welded Diff Guards, Braided Stainless Extended Brake Lines, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Warn Winch, Fuel Tank Skid, Bottorf Front Bumper, Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders, CDL Shifter, Kaiser Lockers Front/Rear, Tom Woods Front Driveshaft, Ashcroft HD Front Axles/CV Joints, and Safari Snorkel.

As for the reliability, I've owned it for 3 months and it's been in the shop for the last 2 trying to take care of an engine knock. In the first two weeks of ownership the windshield wipers quit working from a loose bolt, Active Cornering Enhancement started leaking $20 per quart fluid all over the place from a loose bolt, rod bearings and main bearings needed to be replaced, misfires in cylinder 6, oil pump gears, cam and lifters, MAF sensor codes, air bag suspension issues, leaking sunroof, (about a cup of water in your lap after a solid rain) and the right blinker just stopped working, out of the blue for no reason at all. When I test drove it, it worked perfectly! I put about 2000 miles on it in the first couple of weeks with no issues, then one day, it just started coming apart. After $3,000 in the motor, it's still knocking. I was thinking about just taking this $10k and doing a diesel swap. That would hold it for a while, but I'm better off getting a Cherokee, selling the Rover and buying a good expedition trailer.

Every time I drive it, I can justify the cost, but typing it all out sure takes a while.

I'd probably offer on the white and blue one.... The blue top dollar would be 5500, on the white one I wouldn't give him a penny over 4500

I'd probably offer on the white and blue one.... The blue top dollar would be 5500, on the white one I wouldn't give him a penny over 4500

Well, I wouldn't mind paying close to asking price for them. The white one is in great shape and I'm waiting on more pictures of the blue one. Right now all of the the cherokees on Craigslist are higher priced. You get a few guys who put $5k into a beat up Jeep and then ask for $7000. Stock Jeeps sellers look at the body damage and think their Jeeps are worth twice what they are. Then, the modded, nice Jeep guys think theirs is worth even more.

A month ago, you could barely find a Cherokee on CList, now they're all over the place. If these two rigs don't work out, I'll just hang on to my money, wait for the market to clear itself, wait for a killer deal and build a good rig with the money that I have saved.

I'll just hang on to my money, wait for the market to clear itself, wait for a killer deal and build a good rig with the money that I have saved.
I vote for this!:yelclap:

Back