• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding on take-off

Boostedballs

NAXJA Forum User
If I accelerate hard from a stop, I hear a terrible grinding sound for a moment. I first thought I had a worn U-joint. I replaced both joints in the rear driveshaft since this happens in in 2WD. The problem still exists.

It sounds like it could even be a chain jumping on a sprocket. Now I'm starting to wonder about the chain in the transfer case. Is there torque on the transfer case in 2wd?

Should not be load on the transfer case chain in 2wd, all the torque is transmitted straight through to the rear output.

Just for shits and giggles, check if your exhaust pipe is contacting:
* at the tranny crossmember
* at the leaf spring and/or shackle/shackle bolt
* maybe hanging against a receiver hitch bracket.

The last two are what cause the horrible grinding I am currently experiencing... I know because they grind so bad the metal is clean instead of rusty, I just haven't remembered to sawzall the tailpipe off to clear it yet.

Could it be the pinion bearing in the rear diff? Can you move the pinion up and down or side to side?

Out of curiosity, how the hell do you guys at the dealership install a new rubber bushing at the crossmember? Believe it's part number 5300 0101 (for the half-round style exhaust hangar), memory may be fuzzy on that though. I ended up prying the end of the bracket open and cutting/shredding the old one out, then installed the new one via much cursing and pushing/prying. I suspect I was supposed to drill the pop rivets out but didn't have my drill handy or any rivets to put in afterwards.

I don't remember having to do that one. The Jeeps were still fairly new when I left in 1992. But we were heating up the pipe on the right side, forward of the converter, and using a large bar to bend the exhaust system up and away from the area you describe, just to get rid of the rumble/grind that many folks complained about. And we rarely cursed...........LOL

You got lucky! The problem with mine (in this case) was that oil from my leaking RMS + heat from the exhaust + the previous 19 years and 228 thousand miles had decomposed the rubber so badly that it was really just a big block of greasy black gunk, swollen so badly it wouldn't slide out at all. Once I got it out, putting the new one in was interesting...

I used to live in your area as a kid. I remember the carnage caused by salt on the roads. I couldn't handle dealing with the rusty bolts and the like when working on cars. I'm spoiled by Arizona.

UPDATE, I did install an electric fan in place of the mechanical one. I just noticed the electric fan mount has come in contact with the pulley bolts.

Looks like I might need new engine and trans mounts and possibly countersunk bolts in the pulley.

:sure:

I had similar grinding on my 95 and found that the fan was hitting the shroud under hard acceleration. I could find nothing wrong with the engine mounts, but after a radiator replacement it seems the shroud got itself better centered and the problem went away. It's a nasty noise and sounds much scarier than it is.

Back