• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ TPS problems - p0122 and p0123

sumofatguy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody. I have a 2000 XJ which started showing the classic symptoms of a bad tps/wet tps right after I sprayed down the engine; sputtering, stalling, bad idling etc. It threw the p0122 and p0123 engine codes.

Today, I bought and installed a new TPS and cleared the codes and disconnected the battery to reset the computer, and the same codes came back up and the jeep continued to sputter/stall. According to another post i found:

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS):
1 | Brown/Yellow | Sensor Return (-)
2 | Orange/Dark Blue | Throttle Position Sensor signal
3 | Orange | 5V Reference (+)

the middle orange/dark blue wire is the TPS signal wire back to the computer. When I test this wire, I constantly get 12V, regardless of throttle position. pin 3 reads 5.18V and pin 1 has a decent ground.

Any suggestions what I could do here? do I have a short somewhere on pin 2? How can I fix this??

muchly appreciated

after following the step by step guide how to troubleshoot the tps I think I found the problem. The previous owner installed a Jet performance chip... I guess those don't like getting wet, because as soon as I removed it, the jeep ran fine and stopped throwing codes.

Should I see if drying it out works, or is the chip pretty much useless anyways? does it actually do anything?

This is the second post I have seen of the Jet Chip farking up an XJ--same issue, to much voltage.

Call Jet and ask them WTF?

This is the second post I have seen of the Jet Chip farking up an XJ--same issue, to much voltage.

Call Jet and ask them WTF?

yea I would, but I already took the chip apart to dry it... I'm sure that's no good on the warranty or anything. Do you think they could help still?

yea I would, but I already took the chip apart to dry it... I'm sure that's no good on the warranty or anything. Do you think they could help still?

I would ask them why it would throw 12 volts out.

EDIT: found that other thread, on page two guy figured out the Jet Chip doesn't work with manual transmissions: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1029390&highlight=jet+chip

I would still call Jet Chip--for $320 the POS should be waterproof to 30 meters.

Last edited:
I would ask them why it would throw 12 volts out.

EDIT: found that other thread, on page two guy figured out the Jet Chip doesn't work with manual transmissions: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1029390&highlight=jet+chip

I would still call Jet Chip--for $320 the POS should be waterproof to 30 meters.

That's weird that his was sending 12V to the tps as well... Mine is definitely an aw4 that worked perfectly up till the time I washed it.

And in taking it apart I found it was sealed up pretty well. Looked like silicon or rtf all the way around it. The only way water could really get in would be around the pins and connector. I guess they didn't believe in dielectric grease

Back