• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SE Utah and Colorado? 2010

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
I'm done with postponing or substituting this trip for somewhere else, it's been a few years since i wanted this as my next trip west.

I was originally planning this with a few friends, but were not seeing eye to eye on the itinerary so i'v decided to go it alone. I plan to arrive in Moab on Labor Day Sept 6,2010. Slightly more than 8 months from now.

I'm sure my plan will change a bit or maybe alot... both before and perhaps during the trip, but i have two areas i really want to experience. Canyonlands NP and the White Rim Trail is first on the list.

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/tripmap.pdf

I'm sure most here are familiar with this ~100 miler, i plan one overnight at Murphy's Hogback camp or possibly White Crack. I need to check on availability of both the sites and a few who i would like to share this experience with, being a month prior to NAXJA's Fall Fling this may prove difficult.

Here is a good pic report of a run through WRT.

http://www.mycolorado.org/images/white_rim/index.htm

The second area will be a site on the shores of Lake Powell in Glen Canyon NRA. Handlebars is to blame for this one, he's visited this area numerous times and his pics have made this a priority for me. I plan several days here relaxing and soaking it in with a run to HITR trail.

I'm undecided how to go from Mineral Bottom Rd off WRT to Lake Powell via Blue Notch Rd. Going around to the east running through Needles, Natural Bridges would be a blast but i'm not sure i want to devote a few days to run this compared to a 1/2 day drive by running back up to 70 and south via 24/95. From what i gather both are scenic and would be a blast for a first visit.

But say i did decide to add the extra time, what would be the most direct and scenic route? Would i be foolish NOT to experience this?

From Lake Powell i'm not sure exactly what will happen. Back in 98 on a previous trip to Colorado's San Juan Mountains i found out my friend and travel bud had an issue with heights and shelf roads while running Imogene. :laugh3: So he really has no strong desire to return. Myself i loved it and i could spend a few days seeing the sights again, running trails and end up close to I-70 making my return run east shorter. Or i could meander around Utah some more. I'll have to go back over Intrepid's reports and possibly piece together a route through Colorado as well.

Questions:

Is dispersed camping permitted anywhere on UT BLM land? Or is it designated sites only?

Recommend a place to stay and eat within Moab? I hear i want to hit a Brewery? Although i "may" be camping outside of town.

I'm going to push hard for Denver, ~1800 miles from home. Can anyone recommend something west of town close to 70 where i can spend a night? Trying to cut the hotel bills for 5-6 hours sleep. The RTT should make this somewhat easy.

As always, any input appreciated.

1. Is dispersed camping permitted anywhere on UT BLM land? Or is it designated sites only?

2. Recommend a place to stay and eat within Moab? I hear i want to hit a Brewery? Although i "may" be camping outside of town.

3. I'm going to push hard for Denver, ~1800 miles from home. Can anyone recommend something west of town close to 70 where i can spend a night? Trying to cut the hotel bills for 5-6 hours sleep. The RTT should make this somewhat easy.

1. For the most part yes....unless it is designated otherwise. For example, near Moab a lot of the BLM camping is in designated sites only.

2. Moab Brewery, Pasta Jays, Zax

2. Downieville, CO has a truck stop where I have parked and slept before.

When you get your plans more finalized, let me know. I probably can't join you for the whole trip, but I'd like to meet up with you for part of it if we can work it out.

Sept is warm. Don't bring your feather comforter.

Maybe...

We were there in mid-Sept. '03 and froze our first night. Had to scrape frost off the the windshield in the morning. Five days later, our last night was too hot to sleep.

Moab Brewery has good food, the best beer, and usually good service.

No pillowbed this trip Ryan. Just sleeping bag and comforter. Probably pull the mattress in favor of the Aero-Bed.

Moab Brewery, thats the place.

I have never been much of a warm weather camper but have been doing more of it the last couple years. Jumping into the lake to cool off sure has it's appeal if needed.

Randy, your always welcome. Theres many of you guy's i'd like to meet.

and usually good service.

You are either lying or lucky.

Moab in general has the worst service of any town I've ever been in.

They need to do like Mexican resort towns do and haul in "real Americans" to do the service jobs. The locals (not real Americans) are just not up to the task. They are too worried about how they are going to drain Lake Powel and how they are going to keep Californians from polluting the air every time they air down their tires.

Five days later, our last night was too hot to sleep.

Yeah John it was Too hot to sleep.....wink....wink? :D I would love to do a trip like this one day, man I really need to hit the lottery!

You are either lying or lucky.

Moab in general has the worst service of any town I've ever been in.

They need to do like Mexican resort towns do and haul in "real Americans" to do the service jobs. The locals (not real Americans) are just not up to the task. They are too worried about how they are going to drain Lake Powel and how they are going to keep Californians from polluting the air every time they air down their tires.

Seems like a lot of vacation destinations attract servers who only want to make enough to go out and party that night.

Maybe I should have said, relatively good service, compared to some other places in town. Fall Fling '08 we did the Brewery 3 times. First time we had to talk to the manager and get a different server mid-meal. The surfer/mountain biker/wannabe hippie dude we started with was a total retard who forgot to order our appetizer, then lied to us about salad being included with our dinners.

A few days later with a large group, we had great service, except they forget Randy's burger.

Our last time, just the two of us, we had good service.

Cindy and I met while working at a fine dining restaurant, so our standards are pretty high. So we are often disappointed by our vacation dining experiences. At least the Brewery has good food and beer, two brewpubs we visited on Kauai had bad to mediocre food and beer, and horrible service.

I may be able to join you for a few days if you dont mind. Depends on my plans and school tho so I will know better closer to Sept. Moab Brewery is pretty damn good. Derailleur ale was :drool:

Some ideas for dispersed camping or semi dispersed: Onion Creek (NE of Moab), off the Dubinky well road (north of the concave southeastward bend in highway 313 north of Moab, Indian Creek near the Needles district of canyonlands NP, Hans Flat area on the west side of Canyonlands, Poison Spring Canyon (also on the west side south of Hanksville), San Rafael Swell, or about anywhere in the west desert. Those are some places I've camped unsupervised, although I don't know if there have been expanded restrictions since I was able to make it down there more often than I do now.

I sent in a request for a camp permit on White Rim for Sept 7th or 8th at a few sites situated ~1/2 way through the trail. I'm hoping i'll be lucky considering it's just after Labor Day.

If they are full i'll use the free camp just outside the entrance i recently read about and start down the switchbacks at sunrise and run the length of it.

Crosbike, what part of UT are you in now?

Rod, thanks for the info, may prove useful.

how they are going to keep Californians from polluting the air every time they air down their tires.

HEY!!! HEEYYYY! HEEEYYYYYY!!!! Knock that off! I resemble that remark! I'm gonna get a complex!

Mary and I talked about this one last year but with the family upheaval was lucky to pull off Fall Fling. While sitting up here with our dad at FF09 we also discussed White Rim Trail next time out to Moab. Please send lots of photos to whet our interest even more.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
I reserved (awaiting confirmation) one site at Murphy's, site A. Do we need a second site? 4th vehicle+? All three were available when i inquired.

:phone: in a bit...

Ryan, did you get the application link bud?

Randy, interested in showing me around in Colorado? Looked over your CO Adventure 09 thread at Jeepin. I like the idea of Taylor, Hagerman, Mosquito, Independance and Pearl areas. Thats the scenery i'm looking for. I'v done Imogene, Last Dollar, Alta, Ouray area.

I'm also considering doing a "Loose Screws Tour" if Colorado doesnt pan out.

Back