• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

this seems like THE place to ask this question

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to sleep in my XJ at Bonnaroo this year. (Big music festival in TN)

My XJ is burgandy which is NOT going to do well with TN heat in the morning.

So what would work well to abate some of the heat?

A white tarp over the roof?

Space/emergency blankets over the roof, windows?

How about taping those windshield sun shades over the windows?

What do you guys do when you sleep in the back?

I usually sleep at night when it's not so hot :D

I painted my roof white, like an FJ cruiser.

Putting something over your roof will only be effective if you have a substantial gap for air to circulate. Just throwing a tarp over it won't do jack. A picnic canopy or pole garage or something might be effective. Bring your own shade.

Blocking light is a no brainer.

Open your windows.

Run your AC.

A space blanket on the roof rack was a big help wheeling this past August:
orig.jpg

Have you considered a hammock? They are by far the coolest way to sleep in hot, humid weather. Tie one end off to your roof rack, find a tree or another vehicle to tie off the other end.

I use a hammock to sleep in my XJ. Hangs from the rollcage very nicely. Tinted rear windows, reflective shade on the windsheild, and leave the fronts open.

Hmmm, I'm liking this hammock idea.

THAT could be motivation enough to install a rollcage. LOL

So the space blanket on the roof rack really helped a lot? I was thinking of doing just that.

Is it a elcheapo space blanket like you get from Wal Mart?

The space blanket really helps, especially during August wheeling trips in the shadeless desert.
Get the nice one, it is a tarp with an aluminized side and a red side and reinforced grommets in each corner. I had to put larger grommets so bungees would fit, also to fit it over my tent poles.

In canopy configuration:
orig.jpg

Draped over my tent it really cools things down, especially when the sun is beating down and you want to sleep. You can kind of see it hanging over the door here:
orig.jpg

Did I mention those things are really versatile? :D

No kidding!

I just did a google search and looked at Home Depot too. Didnt see anything that was aluminized. Where do you get one of those?

Awesome!

Thanks!

Gunna order one this week.

Back