• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some real FUN about to be had XJ with ZJ parts

Update: I now have all the parts needed for my conversion to 4x4 from 2wd. Yay! I have my trans output shaft and adapter extension housing for the 242 transfer case and the rear axle leaf spring saddle perches to weld on my ZJ rear axle. I have my 33x12.5's mounted on black basic pro comp steel wheels 15x8 with 4.5" backspacing and going to be searching for which long arm lift to go with....looking at the R.C kit due to cost restrictions. Going to be busy the next month on my street driver to trail driver, can't wait to get started.

Avoid RC parts at any costs!

strike that last idea, I just found a Rusty's off road long arm kit that meets my needs. Hopefully they are better than R.C.. can order it soon. Rubi kit 4.5 " 2400. vs Rusty's kit 1550. I'm very frugal and don't plan on getting on a rock buggy trail or beat my XJ hard just enjoy trails and hunting/ shooting and camping in my tent

I've got the RC 4.5" long arm on my XJ. Its not perfect, but I find it to be pretty well made for the money. Its a nice integrated package that includes a drop pitman arm and a sturdy, double-shear drop track bar mount. The N3 shocks are nice too. The main issue I see with the RC 4.5" long arm is that the leaf springs are way too stiff, at least for light loads. If you plan on having a rear mounted spare tire and a bunch of stuff on the rack or inside during your outings, it might be just right, but I'd be very surprised. To get the right spring rate for my needs (day-trips with family and a little recovery gear) I had to remove a leaf, do a leaf swap, and do a shackle relocation.

And one other downside of the RC long arm kit is that dropping the trans will require removing the crossmember and thus disconnecting the front suspension. I can verify though that the transfer case can be removed without removing the cross member. If you decide on RC or another kit that requires disconnecting the front suspension, you might want to reengineer the cross member to allow leaving the front suspension attached to the unibody rail.

And one other downside of the RC long arm kit is that dropping the trans will require removing the crossmember and thus disconnecting the front suspension. I can verify though that the transfer case can be removed without removing the cross member. If you decide on RC or another kit that requires disconnecting the front suspension, you might want to reengineer the cross member to allow leaving the front suspension attached to the unibody rail.

Absolutely just not true!!!
P1080777.JPG

P1080778.JPG

Not sure of your point here. All I said is that the RC long arm kit and some others require disconnecting the front suspension from the unibody rails before the trans can be dropped.

Oh boy! You have to drop the crossmember to pull the trans, no big deal!

There are pro's/con's to everything, but it's almost impossible to build something in three pieces vs one!

Oh boy! You have to drop the crossmember to pull the trans, no big deal!

I'd pay extra to have a 3-piece x-member that allows the front suspension to remain attached to the unibody when the tranny needs to be dropped. There are a number of long arm kits that utilize a 3-piece x-member. My XJ came with the RC long arm so I got what I got, but when it comes time to drop the tranny, I'll look into whether the x-member can be converted into 3-piece.

There are pro's/con's to everything, but it's almost impossible to build something in three pieces vs one!

I agree on the pros/cons aspect.

:wow:I just found a 93 ZJ 4wd drive for cheap that needs little TLC.. pulling the trigger on that to make it my trail, camp toy and put my 33s on and keeping my XJ as is to and from workhorse getting 330 miles to a tank so far with AC on. I can't complain about that. too many projects right now. Got rid of my F/S Bronco and got a 67 Fairlane Hardtop GTA with a 302 and c6 trans. will be fun hotrod. Back to the grind stone I go.....sooo busy now

I finished the 2wd to 4wd conversion and have been driving it for almost 2 weeks now, so far no vibrations or bad shifts from trans mods. Used the 97 ZJ 242 and drive shafts in my XJ and then used the front axle from the 93 ZJ I bought due to same 3.55 gears so it was easier on me. lost 10-20 miles out of the tank due to added mass and rotating assemblies I'm guessing but I did get a check engine light end of last week for throttle position circuit code. No inspections where I live though so light staying on until I feel like fixing it or costs me more fuel.

Getting it out of a 96 XJ with the 231 transfer case. Going to use the 242 still because I'm not using the vacuum lock front axle. I can source both for under $175.00 but will most likely have to use just the output/ tail shaft from that trans to put in mine after removing tail housing and using the extension housing that I don't yet have. They should be compatible with each other from what I've read. I should have never sold my last XJ build....

Glad you went ahead with the swap!

But... I don't follow this post about the 231 and the comment about vac lock front axle. The 231 is stronger and has a better aftermarket. There are pros to the 242 with the parttime and full time 4x4, some folks prefer it for snow and weather. I had a built 242hd that wasn't cheap but stronger, and tbh I prefer the simplicity of 2w, 4hi, 4lo. The extra was just confusing to explain to my wife and anyone i let drive it.

Anyhow, if you have both id run the 231, not sure what you were getting at with the vacuum lock front axle... those are weak af, but seemingly irrelevant to the transfer case options.

Those who run a 242 will swear they are better... until they grenade one on the trail. Less is more with the internals of the 2 imo

that was back when I had found a XJ at the J.Y that had the 231 TC in it but when I got there to pull it out it was already gone as well as everything else I was after. Had no choice but to use what I had on hand. The HP dana 30 front off the 93 ZJ i swapped to built 97 ZJ axles and the TC adapter from Ebay everything else off of the 97 ZJ i stripped. I still like it even with the 242 in it. I haven't even taken it off-road yet, hopefully i will get to try it out on a mild trail this coming weekend. and my C.E.L went out with no issues

By no means is it a Baaad case... I'll take it over the garbage VC I the 249 for sure. For light to moderate trails it'll be great, with the added ease of inclement weather slecetablility.
Get er dirty! Happy trails brotha

Update on the build...I borrowed my buddies 31 x 10.5's and took my jeep through a little trail this weekend and it did great right up until I binded it up on the trail in a wash out and broke my front axle shaft....too much whiskey throttle I guess. It's down till I can get my hands on a replacement shaft or another axle. Thinking about upgrading to D44 from a older Ford or Dodge if I can find one. I have a line on some axles from a land rover but not sure the year but it is 5 on 5 bolt circle, if I go that way I'll have to source some wheels from a JK.. someone wiser than myself will tell me how crazy my thoughts are and how compatible the rover axles are for my XJ.

Thanks guys!!

I have found a 78 International scout with dana 44's front and rear but I managed to break my lower seat frame this weekend wheeling on a trail with some steep washouts.
I've spent all morning getting that fixed and have lost around 40 miles to a tank of gas since my conversion to 4wd. went from 300 miles to a tank to around 260. must be the fun offroad in 4wd killing the mileage. not decided yet to gut the scout or build it

Back