• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to ID tranny type? NSS problem?

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to fix an issue with my new (to me) 1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 (4.0L, 6 cyl, automatic). It was practically given to me because the prior owner didn't feel like getting into repairs on it.

At first, it wouldn't crank. After a few hours of troubleshooting with my Haynes manual, I narrowed it down to the NSS. I found that it will crank (and start) in neutral, but not in park.

According to my Haynes manual (as well as LOTS of other resources on the web), this car should have the AW4 transmission. I found a link on the forum (http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp) which details cleaning the NSS on the AW4... my only problem is, I can't find any damn thing, anywhere, that looks like the NSS in that article. I've looked. LOTS of times. I am convinced that I don't have the AW4, despite every bit of information I've unearthed on this car.

Can anyone tell me if any '93 Grand Cherokees were made with transmissions other than the AW4? Is there a plate or stamp somewhere that will indicate this information? I did find a plate on the back of the transfer case with several numbers, but nothing seemed to match any of the possible model numbers in my manual.

My local parts chain guy sold me this part, which it turned out is for the 46RH. However, it looks a little different than what I found in my tranny, which looks more like this. This next question may not make sense, but... can this type of NSS (a simple 3-prong plunger switch) cause symptoms like mine (i.e. will crank in neutral but not park)?

Any help, advice & commentary is sincerly appreciated. Thanks.

Greg

A bad 3 prong neutral safety switch can cause the same failure as our more complex switches on the AW-4s.

Sorry, I'm not up on the Grand Cherokees transmissions. Lucky for us simple cherokee guys, Jeep only put one automatic in the XJ 'Seems like the Grand got a different auto for every engine option.

Back