• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATF Fluid Brand

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
I bought some Mercon/Dexron III ATF fluid tonight for my XJ. Its a 98 Automatic with the 4.0L. I am assuming it has the AW4 tranny. It should based on what I have read here.

I bought the Advance Auto house brand. It was less expensive. Anyone ever used this before?

I'm under the impression atf is supposed to be made to manufacturers/ASE specs anyway and that the ingredients shouldn't deviate too much from that so one brand like Castrol isin't specifically better than another like Valvoline as long as you aren't using no-name fluid made by someone youve never heard of (usually parts house brands are made by the major producers anyway). I hate explaining this at work to people who trust oil company marketing rather than the common sense offered by people who know auto repair.

Last edited:
bustednutz said:
I bought some Mercon/Dexron III ATF fluid tonight for my XJ. Its a 98 Automatic with the 4.0L. I am assuming it has the AW4 tranny. It should based on what I have read here.

I bought the Advance Auto house brand. It was less expensive. Anyone ever used this before?

I've used Advanced Auto branded Mercon/ DexronIII for quite some time, never had a problem.

Back