• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VHF radio mounting place

Redxj5150

NAXJA Forum User
I know there's not many people out there with multiple radios, but I just got a Yeasu FT2900R so I can talk crap about people with CB radios while out on the trail.

I've been thinking about where to mount this second radio which if you're unfamiliar is about the same size as a CB, but it's almost 5 lbs.

My CB is located between the sun visors. I'd like to mount the VHF directly below it, but I'm not sure about all of that weight up there.

I know that the few that have them in their jeeps have them on the passenger side of the center console directly adjacent to the shifter. I like that, but I think that's a bit too far away to hear it.

Which do you all think would be a better choice here? I could beef up the mounting up by the sun visors, or put up with the passenger center console.

Last edited:
Well, I just looked you up in the FCC Database based on the info you gave MEMBERSHIP... No Search result.

On the subject of mounting radios. The best place to mount a radio is with a remote head, or where the AM/FM radio is.
Unless the passenger doesn't mind giving up floor space. In that case, on the center console on the passenger side works pretty well.

Last edited:
When i get my cb back its going on the dash above the radio, same place it was in my 95. I really liked it there before. Had the Mic hanging from the visor but it kept hitting me in the head so i think I'm going to find a way to put the Mic on the dash as well

Well, I just looked you up in the FCC Database based on the info you gave MEMBERSHIP... No Search result.

On the subject of mounting radios. The best place to mount a radio is with a remote head, or where the AM/FM radio is.
Unless the passenger doesn't mind giving up floor space. In that case, on the center console on the passenger side works pretty well.

Don't worry I know what laws I'm under and where I can transmit and where I can't. I don't remember seeing a sign saying I couldn't buy a radio if I wasn't a HAM. You have to start somewhere, and I'd rather get my feet wet by owning one.

Don't worry I know what laws I'm under and where I can transmit and where I can't. I don't remember seeing a sign saying I couldn't buy a radio if I wasn't a HAM. You have to start somewhere, and I'd rather get my feet wet by owning one.
So then you know that without a license, sans life or death emergency, you shouldn't transmit. period. Not "where I can or cant" Right?

The FCC will fine you $7,500.00 to $10,000.00 a pop. Plus you're equipment is confiscated.

If I hear you I will report you, as will hundreds of other hams. The FCC will find you.

Morse Code is no longer required for an amateur radio license and it is not that difficult to pass the test.

So then you know that without a license, sans life or death emergency, you shouldn't transmit. period. Not "where I can or cant" Right?

The FCC will fine you $7,500.00 to $10,000.00 a pop. Plus you're equipment is confiscated.

If I hear you I will report you, as will hundreds of other hams. The FCC will find you.

Morse Code is no longer required for an amateur radio license and it is not that difficult to pass the test.

Multi Use Radio System Frequencies (channelized, legal without licence at low power)
1 151.820 MHz
2 151.880 MHz
3 151.940 MHz
4 154.570 MHz Blue Dot
5 154.600 MHz Green Dot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service
Stay above 148.000 as below is HAM city and they will track you down and send a fine of 10k. Using frequencies other than those listed above could carry similar fines, but doubt anyone is coming after you, except of you step out of those five.... which they do on the lakebed all the time. Just be careful you don't step on a public service frequency, as they are peppered in that range above 148. Just listen for a while and see what transpires.
You also have the Business Band which is still illegal for you to use (licensed and not channelized), but less worry of being caught.
151.505 MHz
151.5125 MHz
151.625 MHz Red Dot
151.700 MHz
151.760 MHz
151.820 MHz (MURS)
151.880 MHz (MURS)
151.940 MHz (MURS)
151.955 MHz Purple Dot
154.515 MHz
154.540 MHz
154.570 MHz Blue Dot (MURS)
154.600 MHz Green Dot (MURS)
158.400 MHz
158.4075 MHz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_band
Then you have others.... like the Tin Bender Channel that fits nowhere. Surly a problem using, but I figure with folks all over the lakebed using it, it could be tough to enforce.

feel free to school me more... I've done the MARS mod.

Are you guys kidding? These radios are used at every desert race by hundreds of people. Yes it's not legal but NO ONE has ever been given a ticket. I've been using my race radios for 13 years now without issue.

As for mounting it on the passenger side next to the shifter, it's plenty loud even with the speaker aimed at the center console. Worst case get a $10 external speaker and be done.

I run Vertex units and Motorola hand helds.

Not sure how much homework you have done, but you can only use low power for MURS. Have you seen the definition of low power on the FCC web site? It's not the 50W Yaesu.

Most racing is done with VHF commercial (P90) under license for the specific frequency. I doubt racing uses HAM frequencies...

I don't see the big deal. Why not get a HAM ticket? It's not only that it's the low - You can study online. It's full of useful info and there are tests everywhere...

Multi Use Radio System Frequencies (channelized, legal without licence at low power)
1 151.820 MHz
2 151.880 MHz
3 151.940 MHz
4 154.570 MHz Blue Dot
5 154.600 MHz Green Dot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service
Stay above 148.000 as below is HAM city and they will track you down and send a fine of 10k. Using frequencies other than those listed above could carry similar fines, but doubt anyone is coming after you, except of you step out of those five.... which they do on the lakebed all the time. Just be careful you don't step on a public service frequency, as they are peppered in that range above 148. Just listen for a while and see what transpires.
You also have the Business Band which is still illegal for you to use (licensed and not channelized), but less worry of being caught.
151.505 MHz
151.5125 MHz
151.625 MHz Red Dot
151.700 MHz
151.760 MHz
151.820 MHz (MURS)
151.880 MHz (MURS)
151.940 MHz (MURS)
151.955 MHz Purple Dot
154.515 MHz
154.540 MHz
154.570 MHz Blue Dot (MURS)
154.600 MHz Green Dot (MURS)
158.400 MHz
158.4075 MHz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_band
Then you have others.... like the Tin Bender Channel that fits nowhere. Surly a problem using, but I figure with folks all over the lakebed using it, it could be tough to enforce.

feel free to school me more... I've done the MARS mod.

I'm beginning to realize that if I ask a question on this forum then I should expect nothing on topic.
The visor can stand a bit of weight with the proper base.
The visor radio has a communications speaker, mount another one up there for the second radio.

More photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157622095993436/

And yes, I had a ham license for along time. It is easy to get one. The study guides are online, along with all the questions you may be asked. No morse code is needed anymore.
Let's not turn the amateur bands into another CB playground. Learn to use the local repeaters, when out in the middle of nowhere, for emergencies.

Last edited:
Only the huge teams license their frequency. 99% of the racers in the US use the radios illegally.

My vertex fits in the center console. I have yet to do it, but I'm going to mount it in there and use a very small external speaker. When in in the desert i use an intercom and headsets.

Jeez folks, we don't have to beat people up for running outlaw on radios. I'm sure he'll get his ticket soon since he can't really take advantage of repeaters.

Travis - I would not mount it on the visor, too heavy. I run my FT-1900 (about the same as a 2900 but 55w instead of 75w) tucked in between my passenger seat and console in my '96 XJ. Assuming the fit is about the same on a late model I'd do the same except make it permanent by making a bracket to stick it on the console vertically in front of the seat belt. It's easy to get to there and won't get in Sequoyah's way too much.

PS - Make it easy to remove so you can take it out when parking. :twak:

The second picture is what I was trying to communicate. I did that with a a couple of radios... until one got wet, and the next one I couldn't see the LCD screen because of the angle (the eye surgery didn't help either ;) )

A friend, when he had his 88' XJ put the remote head in that notch under the heater controls. As I mentioned, Remote heads work well, but the FT2900R doesn't have one <shrug>

My reason for pointing out that you are not licensed was not meant as a pee-pee slap, but a caution. The MURS use I can see. I have often wondered if there is anything there worth listening to for the cost of a business band rig.

Yes, you do need to get started somewhere. My start was on CB, and I moved on - you should get your Tech ticket and then you can really use that radio to it's full potential :D

On the trail I generally keep a set of FRS radios. Cheap enough to leave a set in the Jeep and hand one off to someone with no radio. They don't return it? Meh ;)

Last edited:
Jeez folks, we don't have to beat people up for running outlaw on radios. I'm sure he'll get his ticket soon since he can't really take advantage of repeaters.

Travis - I would not mount it on the visor, too heavy. I run my FT-1900 (about the same as a 2900 but 55w instead of 75w) tucked in between my passenger seat and console in my '96 XJ. Assuming the fit is about the same on a late model I'd do the same except make it permanent by making a bracket to stick it on the console vertically in front of the seat belt. It's easy to get to there and won't get in Sequoyah's way too much.

PS - Make it easy to remove so you can take it out when parking. :twak:

Yea I had my jeep broken into last month, but they caught the 2 who did it and I got my CB back. This radio will not be in the jeep when parked. Sequoyah is kind of the reason I don't want it on the passenger side. If it's not a mess by the first trip out then she didn't go with me.

As for the position. perhaps I should switch my CB to being on the console and my VHF between the visors. Since the CB is a tad smaller it will fit better between the seat.

I intend to get my tech ticket so I can fully use this thing :rtm:, but with you guys trying to scare me it makes me wonder why there aren't more hams out there. :wow: I mean every web site I've been to looks like it was made by somebody in their 80s. It's like I'm trying to become a member of the Illuminati.

You'll get good speaker coverage with it over your head, just brace it well.

BTW - Before you mount it you should do the freeband mods to it so you can catch the race radios too.

I intend to get my tech ticket so I can fully use this thing :rtm:, but with you guys trying to scare me it makes me wonder why there aren't more hams out there. :wow: I mean every web site I've been to looks like it was made by somebody in their 80s. It's like I'm trying to become a member of the Illuminati.

Well, on my end, just to caution you, not scold. I myself have been on the receiving end of a few "chats" early on that left me wondering what was going on. It was a real turn off.

Amateur Radio goes though cycles of young and old, like any hobby which involves either a layout of brains, or cash, or both. It's been my hobby for some time (I was licensed when I was 16 and a "few years" have passed since then). There were the "old guys" then also. There will always be "Old Guys". The trick for the last 20 years, has been to get "Young Guys", and that is why it is so insanely easy to get that 1st ticket to actually Talk on the radio.

The hobby is vast and goes just as far as the imagination will take it. Think of it in terms of Jeeping. There are the folks who just want to Jeep. There are folks who just want to build Jeeps, there are folks that want to take their Jeeps someplace they have never been before. Well, that all happens in the Hobby of Amateur Radio also.

And just like Jeeping, you need the guidance/inspiration of someone with a young mind. Old enough to know where the pitfalls are, but young enough to allow you to learn at your own pace without telling you that you are "doing it wrong". My bet is that person is around, just not where you expect them to be.

I almost never turn my radio on at home. For me the radios are all about the backcountry. I know what I need to do what I need to do.

I've got a little repeater in a box that I'm going to use for an upcoming motorcycle trip and SoCal Fest, more and more Jeepers are getting two meters here in CA since we deal with such large terrain.

Back