• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What BRAND Tranny fluid and T-case fluid do you use? (AW4/NP231)

Xjin85

NAXJA Forum User
So, I have a 2001 XJ, with an AW4 transmission and an NP231 transfer case.

I am going to be changing both my Transmission fluid and T-case fluid this week and will be using Dexron fluid as per the FSM recommendations.

Seems like Dextron III is no longer existent and now there is only Dextron V and VI.

My question is: What BRAND Dexron compatible fluid do you use?

I am personally leaning towards:

Redline D4 which seems to be a good suitable substitute for Mercon III

Royal Purple Max AT
F- I've heard great things about RP but when reading the product's description it seems to be a substitute for every trans fluid...Including ATF+4 which I am avoiding to use.

or Valvoline DEX/MERC ATF Max Life

The most important thing I'm looking for is which will reduce the amount of heat and wear on the tranny all while shifting smoothly.

Can any of you guys give me input on any of these products and how they react with your XJ?

I'm going to say something nobody wants to hear, 22yrs now on my 2000 with Amsoil!

I don’t care if nobody wants to hear this, and I know for a fact the OP won’t, but skip the fancy fluid, and spend the $$$ on a fancy trans cooler. As far as the tcase goes, it doesn’t care.
It’s a jeep, not a Ferrari.

The tcase has a fill port, fill it til it weeps.
The aw4 has its own procedure for checking fluid, but capacity is dependent on if you have a tow package (and aux cooler, and extra lines). IIRC, you want to check it warm, idling in neutral on a flat surface. Check it, test drive, check it again. Low level can give you a box full of neutrals. Too high and it’ll blow out the extra…

I used the Napa brand it's made by Valvoline part # 75 200 in my 98 xj tranny and t case both on the Tcsse make sure you can get the fill plug loose before you drain the fluid.

I don’t care if nobody wants to hear this, and I know for a fact the OP won’t, but skip the fancy fluid, and spend the $$$ on a fancy trans cooler. As far as the tcase goes, it doesn’t care.
It’s a jeep, not a Ferrari.

Ahhh, the good old "it's a jeep, not a Ferrari" You know what? It is a Jeep..My jeep..not your Jeep. And let me tell you my friend that it most certainly does matter. Especially with a truck about to turn 200k don't the tranny. It's not about fancy fluid...It is about putting quality in my jeep to make it run top. In regards to your transmission cooler statement, who said I don't have one? :laugh2: Let's stick to the narrative buddy, OK?

I went through the ATF discussions threads after I bought my XJ, and I think the most common answer for a particular brand and variant is the Valvoline Max Life ATF. That's what I'm running in mine now. Seems to be a quality product that works in an autotrans that requires Dec/Merc III. As xcm said, put in a trans cooler. An AW4 in an XJ gets toasty in hot weather, even just driving around town.

The TC also calls for ATF, specifically ATF+4. For my freshly rebuilt TC, I went with Amsoil SS Multi-Vehicle ATF. Its a +4 rated ATF. Valvoline Maxlife in the TC would be fine too and keeps it simple.

What jeep ride said.
I retired out of a Napa but the simple fact that on the container it says DexIII/Merc makes me happy.
Also what he said about the fill plug on the transfer case.
Unless your tranny pan is leaking and you want to replace the gasket just pull the drain plug.
About 3.5 quarts will come out.
If you don't feel it looks quite as clean as it should after you do it after driving for a bit do it again.
IIRC about a quart for the transfer case.

I use the NAPA DexII/MERCON. About 3.5 quarts. I do change it every year or so. T/C I'd use the same. Still, I think I used a synthetic in one. I wouldn't disagree with the ATF+4 in the TC though. Still, I like to keep a minimum of oil types around. There are synthetic DexII/MERCON available. I did ask in another thread if people had issues with a synthetic in the AW4. About 4-5 said no. All were handles I recognized. Might go that route, as I plan to put a trans I had rebuilt in my 2000 XJ. Sort of settled on build plans, as to what engines and trans will go with what XJ or the MJ.

Edit: NAPA oils are Valvoline rebottled. I like to change the trans oil, run about 250 to 1000 miles and change again with one I just bought. I do add one bottle of Lube Guard in the red bottle. I also run a trans cooler.

Last edited:
Ahhh, the good old "it's a jeep, not a Ferrari" You know what? It is a Jeep..My jeep..not your Jeep. And let me tell you my friend that it most certainly does matter. Especially with a truck about to turn 200k don't the tranny. It's not about fancy fluid...It is about putting quality in my jeep to make it run top. In regards to your transmission cooler statement, who said I don't have one? :laugh2: Let's stick to the narrative buddy, OK?

xcm's advice is good advice.

Neither in your transmission nor in your T-case do you have the issues regarding hydrocarbons that you have in the engine. Heat is your biggest issue for your automatic transmission. If you care about your transmission then the addition of a cooler is more important than the difference between one brand of fluid and another.

What jeep ride said.
I retired out of a Napa but the simple fact that on the container it says DexIII/Merc makes me happy.
Also what he said about the fill plug on the transfer case.
Unless your tranny pan is leaking and you want to replace the gasket just pull the drain plug.
About 3.5 quarts will come out.
If you don't feel it looks quite as clean as it should after you do it after driving for a bit do it again.
IIRC about a quart for the transfer case.
I would like to have a dollar for every case of 75-200 I delivered in 35 years Lol

When I (briefly) had a WJ I'd never even heard of ATF+4 & really had to shop around on-line to find some at a reasonable price (so that excludes any known US brand, only available from sources that fly in individual quarts at a price about what I'd expect to pay for a gallon).

We don't have the choice of regular Mercon/Dexron (remember when your manual would specify one or the other?) either brand or spec, so now it's whatever generic ATF I can get in a 20, or 25, litre drum with free shipping.

Which proves, at least to my satisfaction, that the Jeep probably appreciates fresh fluid now and again (only recently realised just how often it's s'posed to be changed) but doesn't care whose name's on the container. I think the main reasons folk stick to the same product are habit, or brand loyalty - which is fine, but a quite different issue to whether any one is better than another.

Can I hear an AMEN!

My 1998 has +284,000 miles on fleet maintenance fluids, meaning whatever was the cheapest 55 gallon drum of oil or Dexron-III/Mercon fluid when it was time to buy more.

A transmission cooler, and regular fluid changes are all that is necessary for long transmission and engine life. I use the Farm and Fleet store brand, or whatever is on sale at WallyMart.

Last edited:

Your type is too much! Read your thread title youngin, you literally asked what fluids I run.
You do you, dude. But 200k is cute. I have two approaching 400k.

:eeks1:

Back