• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radial tires vs Bias tires questions...

dasbulliwagen

NAXJA Forum User
Im considering the Pitbull Growler AT tires as the next tires for my MJ in a 31x10.50 radial or 31x11.5 bias, and was wondering if there were any issues with running the wider bias plys on a mostly street driven truck? I know that there have been issues in the past with the Bias plys but I havent heard anything on them in many years... probably because very few people use them anymore. I know the bias has advantages off road, but will I have problems on road if they are the choice? Thanks for the help!

just stick with radials is my opinion.

i have run bias swampers and they are pretty awful on the street.

but i have also run modern bias maxxis creepy crawlers and they rode and balanced as well as any other radial tire.

you may notice some flat spotting before they warm up which would lead to a pretty awful ride. as for benefits offroad? depends on the tire. nowadays many radials have a stronger carcass than many bias tires. it all depends on the manufacturer and what they designed that tire for.

dont bias ply tires get like bigger a round as they spin faster? i always was told that they are in simple terms like an rc car tire, when you hold a good rc car and floor it the tire like doubles in height and gets narrower. dont bias ply tires do that but not to such an extreme?

Back