• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Socket size for block ground stud removal

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
The ground stud on my 4.0 liter block near the dip stick has a smallish head on its end, it might be rounded, hard to see, last guy replaced the ground cable from battery by cutting it off at ring terminal. I guess he couldnt remove that bleeping stud either,

is it a 7/32 hex head? That socket is loose on the stud head. I tried metric, and that is no go, tried the female torx sockets "E" type, and none fit either.

what is the head supposed to be? My guess is the head is stripped, just want a confirmation or not if it is indeed a 7/32 hex?

thank you!

Is there a reason you can't just double nut it?

I think that is what I did on mine. I want to say it is a 5/16-18 thread.

Why do you need to remove the stud itself? The stud goes into the block, wires onto the stud and then a nut holds them on the stud. Pretty sure it was an etorx, btw.

The ground stud on my 4.0 liter block near the dip stick has a smallish head on its end, it might be rounded, hard to see, last guy replaced the ground cable from battery by cutting it off at ring terminal. I guess he couldnt remove that bleeping stud either,

is it a 7/32 hex head? That socket is loose on the stud head. I tried metric, and that is no go, tried the female torx sockets "E" type, and none fit either.

what is the head supposed to be? My guess is the head is stripped, just want a confirmation or not if it is indeed a 7/32 hex?

thank you!

It's an E socket, I forget the size but quite small.

the head was stripped, double nuts worked. had to remove in order to install new dip stick tube. the stud has a flange , which bottoms on the block, the dipstick bracket goes between the flage on the stud and block. the stud thus must be removed for removal or instal of dipstick tube.

now the set up is block, dipstick bracket, flanged stud, three each ring terminal, ground cable terminal, then a flanged nut.

I found if you try to remove or install dipstick tube bracket over an installed stud, you need to bend the dipstick tube, which may break the tube off at the block. thus the dip stick tube must be placed under the flange on the stud, not over it

Thank you for sharing the lesson.

Back