• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Common problems w/ early 90's XJ's???

EvanH

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy is getting a 91 XJ 4.0 Auto on Wed. I was just wondering if there are any common problem areas that he should look at before going gung ho into buying it. He is getting it for 200 bucks so I'd imagine it isn't rock solid to begin with.

Thanks!

Check for rust everywhere...especially underneath on floorboards. Then check ALL fluids. At that age you could also have sensors going bad (NSS, CPS, TPS, IAC, ect)

Some issues...

Rust: Rockers, drivers footwell, passenger side above exhaust, rear quarters behind wheels, floor around gas tank, front fenders and door bottoms.

Engine: Possible blow-by from clogged CCV tubes. oil leaks from rear main seal, oil-filter adapter, or rear of valve cover.

Drivetrain: Not much; the front axle will probably have a passenger-side vacuum-motor disconnect if the Jeep has the NP 231. (This can be problematic sometimes.)

:)

EvanH said:
My buddy is getting a 91 XJ 4.0 Auto on Wed. I was just wondering if there are any common problem areas that he should look at before going gung ho into buying it. He is getting it for 200 bucks so I'd imagine it isn't rock solid to begin with.

Thanks!

For $200 I would buy it and ask questions later. Hell I paid $450 for one with no motor, no tranny and 1/2 of the under the hood stuff stripped out of it already, and that was 4 weeks ago. If it has 4 wheels, and can be driven grab that sucker!:woohoo: He could use it for a parts jeep at that price, and sell a few parts off of it for way more than $200, and have a free parts jeep, even if it had serious issues.

Back