• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

antifreeze smell

99xjsteve

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 99 xj I can smell antifreeze when it has been running from under the hood but do not see a leek at all is this a normal jeep thing or is there any thing to look out for ? It does not lose any water Thanks

I have a 98 XJ and I often get the exact same smell. I've had the system pressure tested and no leaks were found. I just keep a close eye on the recovery tank. My level does not ever go down and it runs nice and cool so I assume I'm alright. The smell always makes me a little nervous though but I have heard other XJers say they sometimes have this smell. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

I would suspect the weep hole in the water pump. A slight leak is blown by the fan so you can never find it, but you will sure smell it.

Hopefully it's not a tiny leak in the heater core, and the blower is distributing the aroma. Check and tighten the clamps, or replace factory clamps with screw types, especially where the heater hoses attach to the core.

I smell antifreeze around mine also. I think mine might have a heater core leak though because the inside smells like old antifreeze. Its about time I pulled the carpet up to check for rust. I imagine there are several places that can contribute to an 'antifreeze' smell.

Same here. My stepson's newly acquired XJ had water (only) in the radiator. Dained and flushed the radiator and block, new water pump, new thermostat, new radiator cap, new hoses, new temp sending unit. I can still smell the coolant even though I did the work a month ago.

No leaks and not overheating. Apparently not all the uncommon for some reason.

I thought about the heater core as mentioned above. Carpet is dry and the smell actually seems to strongest outside the vehicle, particularly under the hood.

danimal2, my situation is almost exact....new radiator, new t-stat and most of the above mentioned stuff replaced except for the water pump and still the smell remains.....only outside the vehicle. I NEVER get the smell inside and my carpet is dry.

danimal2, my situation is almost exact....new radiator, new t-stat and most of the above mentioned stuff replaced except for the water pump and still the smell remains.....only outside the vehicle. I NEVER get the smell inside and my carpet is dry.

Garden sprayer, 50/05 mix Simple Green and H2o, apply thoroughly, rinse, let dry.

Thanks for all the replies. On mine you only smell it on the outside from under the hood no loss of water everthing stays full and cool. It is very strange.I'am glad I'am not the only one.

I take it you're saying there is some residiual antifreeze on the block from doing the work and to clean it off?

If there are zero leaks then yes, the smell is probably just residual. Again, there can be small leaks in various places and the fan(s) will blow the coolant around the engine compartment where it heats up, stinks, but you can't find a visual sign of a leak.

Once you clean it up, if it reoccurs, you've got a small leak somewhere.

I am running without a fan shroud and the fan nicked a small hole in the overflow hose on mine, made it smell all the time.

Not a flame, but I remember when one of the first things kids (me included) would do is remove the fan shroud. Not a good idea. Nuff said, back to the future!

Oh, it wasn't on purpose. It pretty much disintegrated when I was replacing my radiator.

Gotcha. Seen new replacements, online, 87-01 for less than $14, but a salvage yard should be cheaper and no s/h.

Back