NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 26th, 2003, 18:54
NAXJA Forum User

RE Long arms to long???

I was wondering what ya'lls opinion of using the new RE long arms would be. I have been doing some math and trying to figure out how i could make a bracket for them and have realized that they are super long, they are 37-38" long (where most long arms are like 28-30")and at that length they come to the second bolt back on the stock cross member. I was wondering if any of ya'll thought that that might be to long, cause i don't want to go through the trouble of making the brackets and spending all the money if i am just going to end up messing them up because they are right about in line with the break over angle of my XJ. any thoughts, pics or info would be appreciated.

THANKS,
KREGG
Old September 26th, 2003, 20:14
NAXJA Member #570

I used the RE long arms stock. Mine are 37.5" long. Now is the time to make a new crossmember. This is part way through making the mounts.[ http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?U...4570103&page=1].
Old September 27th, 2003, 02:21
NAXJA Forum User

I think that the auto and manual cross members are at different locations ~8-10" Do you have a 5 speed?
Old September 27th, 2003, 09:36
NAXJA Member #570

Mine is an auto.
Old September 27th, 2003, 10:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally posted by M. Lake
I think that the auto and manual cross members are at different locations ~8-10" Do you have a 5 speed?
I have to pull the alarm on this one. I have worked on LOTS of Cherokees and never encountered one that had the crossmember in a different location in regard from auto to manual. The crossmembers use the same bolt holes in the frame regardless of the tranny type. The only execption to this is if its a custom crossmember. If you find an XJ with different crossmember mounting locations, please let me know.

AARON
Old September 27th, 2003, 11:14
On a Time Out

My wifes '89 Auto was different than my '91 5-speed. HTH TC
Old September 27th, 2003, 11:39
NAXJA Forum User

The XJs with a BA-10 tranny use a mounting spot ~4" forward of the "standard" mounting points.

Andy
Old September 27th, 2003, 11:48
NAXJA Forum User

now that type of a mounting system i like, does anybody else have any pics or info they could shed on the subject.
thanks for the idea,
KREGG
Old September 27th, 2003, 12:12
Water is dirty

Some of you guys know Bill...he's done a lot of work on this rig and I shot a couple of photos for IDEAS on how to mount the LAs. Please don't PM me asking for measurements, etc. That's part of the fun of fabbing your own stuff. Anyhow...

They're not too long, just mount them up and inside...like this:

This way you don't have those goofy things on the frame catching on crap. Buddy of mine set up what you see above. He's had the longarms on since they came out for the TJs, way back when.

Can't really see all *that* well, but they're really not noticable from the side. They're great with 37's. He said while on BOTW II a lot of the 'long arm' guys were hanging up on rocks and stuff with the arms mounted on the bottom of the frame. He said he didn't have any problems. Hats off to him for his work. He does some nice stuff.

Old September 27th, 2003, 12:19
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally posted by M. Lake
Quote:
Originally posted by MrShoeBoy
I have to pull the alarm on this one. I have worked on LOTS of Cherokees and never encountered one that had the crossmember in a different location in regard from auto to manual. The crossmembers use the same bolt holes in the frame regardless of the tranny type. The only execption to this is if its a custom crossmember. If you find an XJ with different crossmember mounting locations, please let me know.

AARON
Quote:
Originally posted by TC Member
My wifes '89 Auto was different than my '91 5-speed. HTH TC
Quote:
Originally posted by CRSU
The XJs with a BA-10 tranny use a mounting spot ~4" forward of the "standard" mounting points.

Andy
Did I say "I think"? I must have been wrong!
Old September 27th, 2003, 12:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

AARON
Well,you evedently havent worked on two many.Thats what the other set of holes in the framerail are for!
Old September 27th, 2003, 17:38
NAXJA Forum User

Which RE long arms are we talking about? I was under the impression that the new ones for the XJ were not out as of yet. Are we talking about using the ones that are already out for the TJ on an XJ and fabbing a custom crossmember?

Just curious

Dave
Old September 27th, 2003, 20:15
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
I have to pull the alarm on this one.

AARON
Turn the alarm off........
I swapped an AW4 into my 89 to replace the BA/10-5speed.......had to move the X-member back about 4" to the rear mounting holes. Kinda makes one wonder why they put those extra holes in the uni-rail.........must have been to lighten the rig.
Old September 28th, 2003, 02:39
Water is dirty

Quote:
Originally posted by David Tucker
Which RE long arms are we talking about? I was under the impression that the new ones for the XJ were not out as of yet. Are we talking about using the ones that are already out for the TJ on an XJ and fabbing a custom crossmember?

Just curious

Dave
I was under the impression that the arms are the same...hence the reason RE was selling an inboard bracket kit, which is the part that's not out yet. Either that or the XJ arms are a different length. Can anyone clarify? For the record, the ones I posted a pic of are TJ arms that went in about 2 years ago.
Old September 28th, 2003, 05:22
NAXJA Forum User

RE is using the same arms for both the TJ and the XJ. They have not released the XJ package as of yet due to the fact that they are concentrating on completeing the ZJ package first, for the XJ they still have to design the frame mounts, all the pictures you see of the XJ kit has the ZJ frame mounts on it