• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp. sending unit

ILLXJ

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Which sending unit controlls the temp. guage? How do you test it? TIA .

Forgot to add 96 with a 4.0. Thanks again.

On the rear of the head,drivers side, beside valve cover.
I have the idiot light so it is a small sender,don,t know size of the guage type sender.
Usally P/F .put to ground,guage should work.
Wayne

PS- switch should be on,motor not running.
Wayne

Wayne, are you sure your information applies to a '96? I don't have one and never worked on one, but '96 was the first year for the new OBD-II computer. It was my understanding that with the new system the gauge was controlled by the ECU and that the head sender/sensor was no longer used.

I don't know that this is the case, just asking.

Mine is a 96.Temp sender for the guage is in the head.Temp sensor for comp is in the thermostat housing.They are different in size and wire hook up also.
Wayne

Wayne, I do have a small sender in the position you described. It has a single wire from it that I have grounded. The guage does not move. Should I try a different guage? Thanks again.

Jim,
"Test the circut by grounding the wire to the sending unit while the ingition is on (motor off).If the guage deflects full scale,replace the sending unit"
leave the wire on the sending unit and use a jumper wire to ground it,The guage in the cluster is replaceable,but that is a lot of work.
Did you have any other electerial problems? You may have burnt up the printed curcit.
Try a new sender first is what I would do.
Wayne

Tested the sending unit as per instructions above. Still nothing. I do not have any other electrical problems. Had the dash apart and check volts across screw heads marked TU & GRD. Voltage was 12.8 with key on and 13.6 with engine running. Thanks for all the help so far.

Back