• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A funny thing happened on the way to the SoCalXJ Jamboree

cracker

NAXJA Forum User
Well. It is 7:45 in the morning and I just got home from a short adventure.

It seems as if a bunch of bolts in my bead lock broke on my front left while en route to JV. THe bead actually popped off from within the ring and the rim. Looks like the Ring may be bent too but thank god for spares :D . I don't feel like taking it all apart right now but I will post up more details later after I get some rest.

FileHandler.ashx

Picture really doesn't do it justice. The ring is tweaked pretty good.

FileHandler.ashx

FileHandler.ashx

Got to love AAA!

Now I know how Sequoia feels :D

Maybe better luck next time. :wave:

that would be real...uhh...exciting, at 70 mph or so

Oh it was but thank god I pulled over to look. It was pulling hard to the left and then started to get a bad wobble.

dude what were those bolts made of, play dough? were they grade 2 or something? i thought you were a better mechanic than that:twak:
damn it, get it right this time:laugh3:

steagall9301 said:
dude what were those bolts made of, play dough? were they grade 2 or something? i thought you were a better mechanic than that:twak:
damn it, get it right this time:laugh3:

I was shocked! They are Grade 8 button heads. I couldn't beleive it.

pat, had the same problem with all his beadlocks thats why no one i know runs them on the highway at all

dork:laugh3:

cracker said:
well its obvious that the whole thing is totaled and you need to switch to a samuri with all stock drivetrain and since thats the case, i would be willing to take that old scrap rear axle off your hands for a small fee ( since you are a friend i will lower the cost by 10% ):laugh3:

by the way, i am glad you are OK.

Last edited:
I guess I'm pretty anal about torqing those bolts down right. I take it slow and easy and go back and forth across the rim. I've learned the hard way that the ring exerts considerable pressure on the bolts when they are not torqued on or OFF gradually. I regularly broke a few bolts until I started using new bolts after each removal.

Too bad, Cracker. Have fun drilling out those grade 8 bolts. The best way I've found is the Craftsman easy outs in the drill. I start with a small drill bit to get a shallow pilot hole, then use the easy outs. The Craftsman ones are kind of like a reverse drill bit. It's also a good idea to use a little anti-seize on the bolts, and to re-torque them regularly. Mine get loose regularly.

Oh it is all my fault. When I got them (3 wheels were already assembled) all I did was check and re-torque all of the bolts. I should have changed all of the bolts. I have enough bolts right now to re-do the bolts on that wheel but I need to pick up the other bolts from a friend and do the other two wheels in addition to getting my spare done.

Richard, we installed the one wheel the same way you described with new hardware. I'll try to get the others done before next weekend ;)

Yeah, I buy those bolts by the bag, 100 count.

Goatman said:
Yeah, I buy those bolts by the bag, 100 count.

I buy 'em by the pound.
Last time I checked them I removed 2 bolts out of each wheel by hand. I replaced, added anti seize, and torqued them down. Unfortunately I can't get a socket on any of the other bolts on my wheels because they're so chewed up.
Almost time for a remount/new bolt session.

Anyone ever try some of these F-911 bolts?
http://www.bolts4u.com/f911hm.htm
They're supposed to be at least 20% stronger than the best grade 8 bolts out there.

Kyung

slowrider said:
I wonder if this is why most bead lock aren't DOT? I guess I don't need to worry too much cus I allmost allways take the easy way:)

They are DOT approved rims

Back