• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping the AC in my 90 to a late model system

jeeprz!

NAXJA Forum User
First let me say Hello to all, I have been a lurker on and off for a long time, my 90 was to the point where it was no longer reliable for a daily driver so about 2 or 3 years ago I had to bite the bullet and park it until i had the time and funds to rebuild it which is what i am working on now~

I have a quick question about swapping the stock 90 AC system with a system out of a newer XJ from a bone yard (when i parked it the AC had not worked for a year or so)
-does anyone know if this is a simple "bolt in" then recharge swap?
-has anyone else done it?
-do you think it is worth it to swap the whole system out or just repair what is needed with my current one? ( lines r a must, probably condenser and maybe conpressor)
-and if the swap is a good idea is it worth going the bone yard route to save some cash?
-because its not a high priority at this stage can i put a NON-AC belt on it to by-pass the AC system until I decide what to do?

A big Thanks to everyone, even though i couldnt afford do anything with it for the last couple of years i still lurked on the boards and gained a wealth of info and tips~

The new system uses totally different components. I have no idea how much adaptation would be required to use it. Why are you assuming all those things you mentioned need to be replaced on yours? Have you tested the system and found them all to be bad, or are you guessing?

educated guess

back before i parked it the ac didnt work for some time and i had a jeep mech check it out and he said the condenser was shot, he also said that because it had been out for sometime the compressor "may" be bad for running with lack of oil, this was 3 or 4 years ago. I also read other posts about doing the coolant conversion and it seems that others think it doesnt perform as well, so i thoght if i have to buy parts i may be better off to just upgrade to a newer system all together in the long run "if" it will swap/work.

Back