• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scissor shackles

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I got a PM about them so I will just put them out there for anyone else who's curious!
BTW,they are made from stock XJ shackles.
027_24.JPG

028_25.JPG

Last edited:
Uhhhh......................... Is that safe? :dunno:

Uhhhh......................... Is that safe? :dunno:
Are you serious,its been done for decades!Along with leaf spring Z mounts and revolver shackles.

I know there are revolvers and z-mounts but I just didn't think two factory shackles seemed safe. Apparently it is indeed safe! :D

I think I recall a thread about somebody who did this and it failed and messed up a bunch of crap. I'd do a search before you do that. I have the revolver shackles and love them, but I feel safe that they are engineered for the twisting, etc. Stock shackles aren't. I wouldn't trust those IMO.

In the late 80's and early 90's a lot of old school wheelers did them like that.he did a good job on them with the block to prevent the upper shackle from moving backwards..the revolver idea came from this type set up!

I think I recall a thread about somebody who did this and it failed and messed up a bunch of crap. I'd do a search before you do that. I have the revolver shackles and love them, but I feel safe that they are engineered for the twisting, etc. Stock shackles aren't. I wouldn't trust those IMO.

See thats what i thought. I remembered a thread about that. I'm not saying its safe and i'm not saying it isn't but i would prefer not to do it myself.

The thread your thinking about was done without keeping the top shackle from sliding back..curbdog was the kids name lol.the way RCP did it was used widely in the late 80's and early 90's.and is still done by the full size and toyota crowd without any ill effects.

The thread your thinking about was done without keeping the top shackle from sliding back..curbdog was the kids name lol.the way RCP did it was used widely in the late 80's and early 90's.and is still done by the full size and toyota crowd without any ill effects.

Ahhh! OK! :cheers:

might be fine for trail, but seem will give you very harsh ride quality as the shackle seem like wont be moving at all as how it looks in the first pic unless that's the side that's compressed, if so, pls a pic with it not flexed

I wouldnt say totally without ill effects....

nicely done.

I'll be looking at building myself a set soon from some 1/4" material. have been meaning to ask a few questions about them but it's apparent that they're simple enough that I shouldn't need to.

Not to be a downer, however, Let's play engineer (no we don't need to build a cardboard train). By extending the shackle you are basically adding more lever, like a cheater pipe on a wrench. Does it "work" sure. Does it fail, and smash your fingers, or break the wrench? Not all the time, but yes, it does happen, I would be careful with the extra leverage. Remember the stock shackles are (as a wrench) designed to take x amount of stress. By adding another shackle you've basically doubled the stress somewhere. I by no means am saying "it's gonna fold like a taco". You may run it for years with no issues, like the cheater pipe idea, you may have no issues, while Slippery Jim The XJ King may get on the first step, and have a bad wheeling trip. Keep us posted.

nicely done.

I'll be looking at building myself a set soon from some 1/4" material. have been meaning to ask a few questions about them but it's apparent that they're simple enough that I shouldn't need to.
The important thing is the stops,you need 2,one to set the shackle height and one to keep the shackles from "inverting".

By extending the shackle you are basically adding more lever, like a cheater pipe on a wrench. I would be careful with the extra leverage. Remember the stock shackles are (as a wrench) designed to take x amount of stress. By adding another shackle you've basically doubled the stress somewhere.
Whats your point?Its no different than running a longer shackle.Stock is 3" Center to Center,the ones in the pic are only 4"(you can make them any length you want).You can get "good" aftermarket shackles up to about 7"!

I understand it.

msorysdad, your theory is fairly accurate. except that the spacers between shackle A (body side) and shackle B (spring side) revert it back to stock when not flexed. i.e. the shackles still take the load that they are designed to do.

when flexed, the retainer spacer, which is on shackle A acts as a stop for shackle B, keeping them from inverting and landing 180* opposite of the way they are intended to run.

the ONLY way they would fail (and also the only reason they have any doubted "bad name") is if they were not built strong enough. That said, I would NOT use two stock shackles to do it. rather, I would build them entirely out of 1/4" and tube.

Back