• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why I won't be doing any wheeling this year.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-165056erl
does that look like the adapter from your fuel pump/ Fuel Rail to your AN fittings

Yes that is the adapter I used for the fuel pump module. On the fuel rail I stayed with a stock style EFI fitting. This is the one I got (I think):
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-640860

Really the difference is the tube adapter is pretty permanent in that if you ever need to remove it the ferrule will be stuck to the tube and you will have to cut it off. The EFI fitting can be removed and reinstalled without it damaging the tube. The tube adapter with ferrule is probably less prone to leaking but which is "better" is up to you.

By the way I initially used 3/8" hose (AN -6) but I have pretty significant fuel pressure bleed off so I switched to 1/4" hose (AN -4?) and that was a little better.

Last edited:
The version of Eric's book I bought has been discontinued as it has been revised since then. I used it to help decide how I wanted to build my XJ in 2009.

How much stuff did you have to relocate for the coilovers in the engine bay?

You can see photos of that in post 153. I already had my stock airbox removed and intake going through the cowl so that side was pretty easy. The passenger side you might have to delete your AC. I was planning on doing that regardless but not having the AC compressor there sure made things easier. It will also depend on how high your mounts are and if you plan on using remote reservoirs.

Which book are you referring to? I'm about to install a 78-79 ford 60 and Dana 70 in mine with front coilovers. I'd be very interested in looking at your book. Do you sell them somewhere?

ugh, why bother with a d70?
your front axle is the right choice, but a 14 bolt is much more common, cheaper, & easy to work on. plus you can shave 2.25" off the bottom with a TMR customs shave kit.

it was a set that i bought. ive pretty much got everything figured out except for the coilovers. thats the part im stuck on right now. not too many builds out there of cherokees with coilovers without the engine bay completely chopped up.

Finding disc brakes for the Dana 60-ISU was a major headache and didn't turn out how I planned. I'll post this here so that if anyone else finds themselves with the same axle they will know what they are faced with...

Problem is the bolt pattern on the flange is a trapezoid pattern and my 1989 is a square/rectangular pattern like the usual Dana 60's and Dana 70's. So obviously these will not bolt up. Billy (JeepFreak21) used these but he had to make a spacer and then weld them on. I could have done that but this guy wanted $200 for these backing plates, calipers, and caliper brackets, which were all in bad shape. I said screw that.

I went back to the RuffStuff brackets and ordered the Dana 70 brackets, which is what Billy originally used (http://www.bsfab.net/?p=85). I also used the bolt-on brackets but cut the lower half off in order to raise them, roughly 1/4", to fit over the E-350 rotors. I should mention that I tried using 12.5" rotors with a deep hat but all the ones I found will not fit over the E-350 hubs. So... you have to use the E-350 rotors which are 12.83" diameter.

I used the '75 Chevy 3/4-ton calipers which is what RuffStuff suggested and what I found is the brackets have the right spacing when welded to the in-board face of the flange. Here's how mine turned out:

8422.jpg

So finally the rear axle is all but done. Got the Yukon cut-to-fit 4340 chromoly shafts cut and installed. Finally a simple job that went as planned!

8428.jpg

Also I am jumping around a bit because unfortunately that is how the build is going at this point due to having to wait on parts, etc. Here's the shock hoops for the front:

hoops01.jpg

hoops02.jpg

Thread necromance because I'm in the exact position of trying to put disc brakes on a previously drum d60u...

did you have to do anything for the e350 rotors that you slid over your hubs? I'm getting mixed results talking to the different manufacturers (ruffstuff and lugnut4x4) of whether I should use the e350 slide over or swap to the 3/4ton chevy and press them in behind the hubs.

it's going on a trail rig so I'm not overly worried if pressing them on is the best way because I doubt I'll ever have to change the rotors. But I have the e350 and they slide on so if I'm welding up a bracket anyway this seems like the best option.

you've been running them for a while now...any thoughts?

Thread necromance because I'm in the exact position of trying to put disc brakes on a previously drum d60u...

did you have to do anything for the e350 rotors that you slid over your hubs? I'm getting mixed results talking to the different manufacturers (ruffstuff and lugnut4x4) of whether I should use the e350 slide over or swap to the 3/4ton chevy and press them in behind the hubs.

it's going on a trail rig so I'm not overly worried if pressing them on is the best way because I doubt I'll ever have to change the rotors. But I have the e350 and they slide on so if I'm welding up a bracket anyway this seems like the best option.

you've been running them for a while now...any thoughts?
Sorry I didn't see your question, but I don't quite understand what you were asking.... did you figure it out?

I've been running mine ever since and haven't had to change anything. It is perfect.

Made a "walk-around" video of this build. It has been awesome for the last 7 years and haven't had to really change anything to it, but... I've decided to make a few changes in the next few months so wanted to document the rig as it sits now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91HDlD58Us8

Awesome build! I am going to steal a few of your creations on my Xj build. Do you happen to recall your coilover spring weights? Or just wait your combined spring stiffness is?

Thanks! Awesome build :greensmok

Made a "walk-around" video of this build. It has been awesome for the last 7 years and haven't had to really change anything to it, but... I've decided to make a few changes in the next few months so wanted to document the rig as it sits now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91HDlD58Us8

That is one sweet XJ. That would be hard for me to DD...LOVE the front fenders and the frenched in exo cage around the front end. Lots of time/skill and the entire project is AWESOME. I just wish I had the time to build that caliber of rig. I have never owned a vehicle longer than 5 years. guess that's why i'm on my 14th Jeep now. I have a 97 XJ and a 93 ZJ both 4x4 on 3.5 inch lift on 31x 10.50 R15's. I daily my XJ just love the box I guess. The ZJ is way more comfy
though. I need to upgrade my XJ seats next.:cheers:

Back