NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 7th, 2019, 15:45
NAXJA Forum User

Power Door Lock Problems

I purchased the vehicle a few weeks back and the power door locks didn't work. I went into the interior fuse box and checked the fuses for front door / windows and they were good and put back in and then all the power door locks worked. Ran fine for a week with key fob working too then all of a sudden no power door locks again.

Now the passenger side window switch seems to not be working. Would this have any effect of this issue of them not locking? None of the fuses are blown. I just hate electrical gremlins.
Old December 7th, 2019, 21:49
NAXJA Member

Re: Power Door Lock Problems

What year??

Probably broken wires between door jamb and driver door
Old December 8th, 2019, 07:33
NAXJA Member

I have had an intermittent passenger side window switch problem for years in both Jeeps (1997, 2001). I have also had wonkiness from the door locks. In the 1997, I would occasionally hear the relay in the control board in the passenger side door click but nothing would happen - replacing that module fixed the door lock issue. In the 2001, I have hyper-active door locks that lock/unlock/lock driving down the road over bumps etc. I removed the fuse until I deal with it. What is interesting is that this problem is worsens when someone is sitting in the passenger seat. It could just be the vehicle flexes differently. There is no wiring in the seat that could cause this. Some years back I had to splice in a new wire in the drivers door for an intermittent drivers side door speaker. Check the wiring in the door jambs.
Old December 8th, 2019, 15:12
Two seat 4 door ;)

I'd check the grounds behind the panels inside the rear quarters... there's usually an issue there...
Old December 15th, 2019, 11:38
NAXJA Forum User

Take apart your door paneling and check the wires to your switches, then trace them down to the door jam and make sure no wires are pinched, broken, etc. Check your grounds. If all looks good, take out your glove box and check for fried wires etc. In this year jeep, it could be either or, or both. In my case, both.