• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling system flush

tugalo

NAXJA Forum User
It's that time of year again to take care of our cooling systems, so, out comes the hose, the flush, and new anti-freeze. I was thinking about using the removal of the temp sensor to bleed air out of the head, and came up with a system to do a complete flush.
I installed one of those pressure flushing tees in the heater hose, and bought a brass 1/8" pipe thread-to hose barb adapter with a 1/4" inside diameter. $1.29 at TruValue hardware
REmoved the temp sensor and replaced it with the adapter and a 5 foot length of 1/4" clear hose as an overboard drain.
Connected the water hose to the flushing tee and turned on the water.
Started the car and watched the old antifreeze come out of the drain hose till it was clear.
Put the temp sensor back in, removed the water hose, and added the system flush chemicals. Let her run for the required time and then cool down.
Removed the sensor, replaced it with the fitting and drain hose, connected the water, started her up, and waited for it to run clear again.
Shut her off, removed the water hose, and added pure antifreeze into the overflow tank. The water in the block is gradually pushed out by the antifreeze, and the drain hose will run a little green, but a full gallon and a half went in easily....no possiblilty of air bubbles or blocks.
Replaced the temp sensor and buttoned her up for a test drive. The procedure is much harder to describe than it is to actually do it.
Took about 20 minutes and did not have to remove any radiator hoses.
Keep in mind that my thermostat is drilled top and bottom to prevent air locks, and that you do not want full water pressure on the hose.

Not bad, the only thing I would recommend is next time use the better-grade flush that you leave in the cooling system for 500 miles or so--does a much better job of it.

Back