• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help: front bearing hub broke

2T2-Crash

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to replace my friend's front wheel bearing assembly and it was so thrashed the front half pulled out, how do I get the pressed in piece out?

Yep, got it.

Here's what we did for those with the same problem:

Thread the bottom two bolts in, remove the top one. Back the threads out about 1/8" once, use a 1/2" drive extension plus the socket and beat each side with a machinist hammer, alternating sides and slowly backing the bolts out. This slowly pushes the hub enough to get a prybar to use and gently pull it out.
Break free helps.

that works, could thread a bolt in and turn the wheel too.
first time swapping hubs sucked... but a switched from a 3lb mini sledge to a 16lbs sledge and they came right out. then I used nickel anti-seize on everything that contacts. when we pulled them to do my gearing they come right out with a tap from a rubber mallet

Makes life a lot easier if you buy a couple of M-12 X 4 inch (100mm) bolts. The longer bolts makes hitting them with a BFH a lot easier and you won't mess up your stock mounting bolts.

I soak hub in liquid wrench or a 50/50 mix of tranny fluid and acetone.

Many small strikes works better than a few big strikes. You want to break the rust bond and not shatter the cast hub. But you have to swing that hammer fairly hard, I use a three pound ball peen hammer. Safety glasses are recommended, if something does shatter it can be almost explosive.

Some guys have recommended using the power steering pump against a long bolt from the rear. I've always been a little leery of this, I found jarring the hub works better than a constant pressure.

Thanks guys, it was a fun job.
Tried to get a new front driver side axle and all they had was one with a CV joint that was supposed to fit but didn't. We had to clean the surface of the old one and throw it back on.
My buddy is lucky that hub hasn't failed on him completely.

Back