• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve tick?

I'm guessing seafoam is just Xylene in a fancy bottle. BUT, it appears to be a powerful solvent that is getting real popular as a Combustion Chamber Cleaner.

Pour it down the throttle body while the motor is running and it should clean out a lot of carbon from the Combustion Chambers.

Its also recommended from the Oil and Gas. BUT, if you add it too the oil, being a powerful solvent, I would worry about it diluting the oil and hurting its ability to protect the motor. I'd only add it and idle the motor for half-an-hour, then drain and change the oil/filter. I think the instructions recommend just that, but I'm not sure.

Gasoline, you can put more powerful solvents in there safely, your probably fine just pouring into a tank of gas to clean the injectors, intake valves and combustion chamber. Funny, people recommend using Xylene for exactly that.

Rick Anderson said:
I'm guessing seafoam is just Xylene in a fancy bottle. BUT, it appears to be a powerful solvent that is getting real popular as a Combustion Chamber Cleaner.
Is it safe?

Rick Anderson said:
Pour it down the throttle body while the motor is running and it should clean out a lot of carbon from the Combustion Chambers.
I'll give it a shot.

Rick Anderson said:
Its also recommended for the Oil and Gas. BUT, if you add it too the oil, being a powerful solvent, I would worry about it diluting the oil and hurting its ability to protect the motor. I'd only add it and idle the motor for half-an-hour, then drain and change the oil/filter. I think the instructions recommend just that, but I'm not sure.
Sounds wise. Any cleaner or motor flush usually recommends not driving the vehicle to avoid stress on the engine. It must break down the oil to break down the sludge build-up.

Rick Anderson said:
Gasoline, you can put more powerful solvents in there safely, your probably fine just pouring into a tank of gas to clean the injectors, intake valves and combustion chamber. Funny, people recommend using Xylene for exactly that.

I'll give it a try but will be rebuilding the top end of my engine anyway. Better cam, lifters, push rods, etc.

Thanks.

The only additive I would consider safe to drive around with would be Marvelous Mystery Oil (or some of the additive like that) or Trans Fluid, even then, I would take it easy on the motor while driving. Yea, anything with the word flush, I would NOT drive.

I've seen some speculation about using it in the oil NOT being safe, but that usually falls along the lines of any kind of Engine "FLUSH" for the oil NOT being safe. I at least agree they are NOT without some risk and you should think 3 times before using them.

DO NOT use engine flush of any kind adding a little sea foam is probbally fine but that engine flush crap is a bad idea. ALL it will do is looosen up junk inside your motor causing it to block your oil pickup tube if you have alot of junk and the smaller pieces will most likely clog up your oil filter then go throught the bypass valve and make your main bearing look nice. I have pics somewhere of a jeep 4.o that I had all gummed up but it ran nice I had pics of the main caps that I pulled when I did a RMS ran that crap thought afterwards when I took it apart a few weeks later for a bad blow by problem I had a nice surprise.

traitor5150 said:
DO NOT use engine flush of any kind adding a little sea foam is probbally fine but that engine flush crap is a bad idea. ALL it will do is looosen up junk inside your motor causing it to block your oil pickup tube if you have alot of junk and the smaller pieces will most likely clog up your oil filter then go throught the bypass valve and make your main bearing look nice. I have pics somewhere of a jeep 4.o that I had all gummed up but it ran nice I had pics of the main caps that I pulled when I did a RMS ran that crap thought afterwards when I took it apart a few weeks later for a bad blow by problem I had a nice surprise.

A friend of mine in high school used it and that ruined his engine. He rebuilt it and when doing so notice a lot of scarring on the rod bearings.

He was kinda pissed.

Being as my engine has 30K miles on it (new), I'm just wanting to tame the tick before upgrading the whole valve train.

Rick Anderson said:

Its also recommended from the Oil and Gas. BUT, if you add it too the oil, being a powerful solvent, I would worry about it diluting the oil and hurting its ability to protect the motor. I'd only add it and idle the motor for half-an-hour, then drain and change the oil/filter. I think the instructions recommend just that, but I'm not sure.

Rick,

Xylene alone is not that great, not much better than gasoline. Most of the products like Seafoam are a blend of hydrophilic (alcohols and glycol ethers) and hydrophobic (xylenes and toluenes) solvents plus some that are a little of both (like MEK, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, which packs quite a punch all by itself and it is both water soluble and gasoline soluble and it disolves varnish big time). Such blends are much better at disolving and loosening carbon, water, and any other contaminates than just xylene.

And they make pretty good paint stripper if your not careful (MEK plus toluene that is, they make a great paint and varnish remover).

ive had seafoam in the crankcase (just a few ounces) for thousands of miles between oil changes. no harm done, and no warnings on the bottle regarding a need to change the oil or its detrimental affect on lubrication.

all my noises quited down as a result of seafoam in the TB, and in the crankcase.

I would do a K-1 flush on any old engine that's for sure. It don't clean as will as engine flush stuff you don't have the problems ether. I do a K-1 almost ever oil change. It's cheap(er), It works.
Detergent oils were to eliminate the need for K-1 flush's. They never did.
Add one quart No more of K-1 one. Some think if one is fine then two is better, wrong. Let idle for 5 or so minutes then drain change filter.
Do this at every oil change and watch many problems go a way.

Back