NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 19th, 2007, 11:09
NAXJA Forum User

Rear axle shims?

Were is everybody buying there shims?I am looking for a place close by in Louisiana.I did check NAPA,but they would have to be shipped across the country.
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:13
NAXJA Member #929

Re: Rear axle shims?

Rusty's carries them
Old June 19th, 2007, 14:34
NAXJA Forum User

They have a post to stay away from Rusty's.I am new to this and don't want to get burned at the start.Thanks
Old June 19th, 2007, 17:16
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter
They have a post to stay away from Rusty's.I am new to this and don't want to get burned at the start.Thanks
Depends on who you listen to and what they bought + 1,000,000 other questions. I have a 3* steel from Rusty's for 4 years. Well, I cannot think of anything wrong with it.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old June 19th, 2007, 17:59
NAXJA Forum User

i got mine from rubicon express.
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:24
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks guys!My plans for tomorrow is to drop the Tcase and put some washers to block it down about 1/2"-3/4" just to see if that will help out with the vibration.If that works,then I will make a bar for it.
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:34
NAXJA Forum User

PORC sells them too. I bought mine (to be installed with my new lift) for somewhere around 15 bucks.
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:26
NAXJA Member # 683

I got one pair from RE, and another from Vatozone or Pep Boys...or one of those places that sells 'lowering kits' next to all their other flashy bling for ricers. A shim is a shim, and doesn't know whether it will fulfill a noble purpose such as correcting driveline angles in a Cherokee, or whether it will be rubbed against speed bumps.
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:47
NAXJA Forum User

Try Rustys or Rubicon Express as stated, you can also try pro comp as well. Just make sure you get the right degree. I bought 2 sets when I put my lift on because I wanted to make sure that I wouldnt have to wait for another set in the mail If I ordered the wrong degree. tim
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_toker
Try Rustys or Rubicon Express as stated, you can also try pro comp as well. Just make sure you get the right degree. I bought 2 sets when I put my lift on because I wanted to make sure that I wouldnt have to wait for another set in the mail If I ordered the wrong degree. tim
That is why I am first going to try dropping the Tcase.Is that a good idea to see if vibs will drop?If it does,I will go back and add shims to the rear axle and lift the tcase back up till I get some shims.I'm new to this 4 wheeling thing and learning fast.Still haven't put the beast in the mud yet.Thanks guys.
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:13
NAXJA Member # 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter
That is why I am first going to try dropping the Tcase.Is that a good idea to see if vibs will drop?
That's a hit-and-miss method, if that's what you want. You really need to measure the angles of the driveshaft, the t-case output and of the pinion yoke to see what size shim you need.

T-case drops will work for some, while they aren't enough for others. That's one of the quirks many of us love about our XJs is that they don't always act the same even though they all came off the same assembly line.

A good fix for the vibes is to use the correct hardware...and that means an SYE and good rear driveshaft that uses the correct shims to point the pinion 1-2* below centerline of the driveshaft.

Jim www.yuccaman.com
Old June 20th, 2007, 13:13
NAXJA Forum User

Yuccaman,Like I posted,I am new to this.This xj is not a DD,just a back up if and when one of my kids need a car if one of theres or ours are in the shop which all happen to be all new.So,that is the story I lead my wife to.Its just another toy,but I will still stand behine my story as a spare to the wife.Guess in time I will go bigger if I like it.Most off roading will be in my backyard,a few miles of woods and trails.
Old June 21st, 2007, 21:47
NAXJA Forum User

BTW how much lift are you running and what Tcase? I run a porc sye, rebuilt front driveshaft in the rear, and 2 degree shims. Im sitting at 4.5 with 31s and that works perfect for me. no t-case drop. Just do it right the frist time F the t-case drop. you will invest a bit more off the bat, but it shouldnt crap out that way.tim
Old June 23rd, 2007, 19:47
NAXJA Forum User

I did the bolt washer drop on the tcase.About 1/2" in washers,just about all vibration is gone.RC is shipping me some shims,2.5 deg.I will install them and remove the washers,try it out.If any vibration is back,I will add washers till its gone.From there I will fab up some plates to match the washers.
Oh,my xj is a 1999 auto with 3" RC lift and 31x10.5x15 tires,stock alum rims.