• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine belt on a 97+

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Just did my serp belt on the 98 for the first time, 180,000+ miles so I figure it's time. Pretty simple really cept for the alternator, $#(*$*%+#, my arms look like I was in a cat fight getting that loop around :D.
I removed the aux fan, connector is a PIA, has TWO releases, little red one and a tab, two screws, loosened the idler bolt and then backed off the adjustment screw, removed the belt, installed the new one and tightened if back up to snug, double and triple checked the routing :D :D :D They tell you to ignore the routing in the FSM if it differs from the one on on the shroud.
Used my krikit tension gauge to adjust to the FSM recommended tension of 180-200lbs, set it for 200. Fired it up and checked it again allowing it to run for a while, 2min, before I put the aux fan back in. checked the tension at two points, the run between the AC and wp/mech fan and the PS and wp/mech fan. Two different readings, 200 on the first and 180 on the second for ~190. We'll see. According to the FSM a used belt is supposed to be 140-160 lbs so I guess they relax some. A new belt is considered one that has been run for 15 min or less, so they must relax pretty quick :D
All in all I rate it a 2 or 3 only because of the fight with getting the aux fan out and looping the alternator and holding it all in place as you route the other pulleys, easier with an extra hand or two.
I'm glad I took the time to read the FSM as I was ready to pull the airbox and start looking for bolts under the PS pump.

Time for the transfer case....

Hmmm I don't recall mine being that bad :) and I got a 98 as well (with all the goodies: AC and so on...).... In any case, check tension on it once more after driving it for a day as it will stretch even more...

So what are you gonna do to you tcase?

Kejtar

I have big hands and could not get a good bite on the adjustment pulley to loosen it without removing the electric fan, socket and ratchet were too long, I also did not intend on leaving any extra skin on that electric fan trying to loosen that bolt. Taking the fan out makes it easy and adds about 5 minutes once you figure out the connector...
Drain and refill with mobil-1 ATF. Also stopping at the dealer this week and picking up two more gallons of Mopar coolant and 4 or 5 quarts of AX-15 GL-3 stuff, also the Mopar HP plug wires should be in by tues. Next weekend is the annual flush.backflush, tstat and pressure cap weekend, got the Prestone Super flush 7 hour stuff so I'm taking my daughter who has her permit for a L-O-N-G drive on RT 80. I figure on tues or wed I'll be putting the weber on the YJ if it comes in.

Back