• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In Cab Fan

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
So today I got into my Jeep and noticed it sounded like the fan was pushing sand out of the vents. I also noticed what looked like dust (now know it was plastic) coming out of the vents and it smelled like burnt electronics. I had the windows down the whole time I was driving so I didnt notice that the fan actually stopped functioning all together when I got home. It now only works on the number 4 setting..... Yeah so is this just the switch for the blower settings? I am not sure what to replace here due to the smell it gave off right before failing
Going to be nice n toasty on the long road trip we are taking next tuesday :firedevil

That is the part that really stumps me. Blower sounded perfectly healthy on its 4 setting.. Oh well I will start with what you said and hopefully if I have an issue with the blower it will come up before the winter so I dont have a -14 degree 45 min commute

the resistor pack controls fan speeds, most likely cause of your blower motor problem, doesn't explain the plastic or dust though

I agree on the resistor pack, but it the fan switch may be on its last legs too. On my first 85 and 87 XJs, I had to replace both, and the ignition switch and the fuse holder and the wiring, but that was early renix era.....

the 89 has only gotten a new fan and switch IIRC.

The Resistor pack is easy to reach, front lower side of the AC box under the passenger side dash, glow box.

Back