• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick question on tire size and wheels

kippo1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running 2014 Rubicon wheels with 1.5 in adapters right now. I just bought a set of 315 70 17 bf all terrains. Now I forgot all about the back spacing on the factory Rubicon wheels .

Do I need to buy new wheels to have these tires installed on to keep from rubbing on control arms?

6in la lift cut fenders with flat flares.

Thanks in advance.

I run a 12.5 on 8" and would feel perfectly comfortable with a 13.5 on 8"

I feel most people that comment havent actualt done it.

Ive also noticed advertised sizes vary so one guys 12.5s might match another's 13.5.

Im running 16" lbs in my 12.5 wide tires on 8" wheels getting 100% tread contact and a very very good gripot ride.

feel most people that comment havent actualt done it.

Why would I?

I fit the right wheel to tire. When I go to a 325 I'll go to at least a 10" wheel. Right now, 285 on a 9" wheel.

Why the hell would I ride around on a flat doughnut?

Last edited:
If your shooting for wide street tires,then yes a wider wheel will be more stable and allow a larger contact patch with more pressure.

They might rub. Rubi wheels and adapters plus 35s rub my short arm control arms. I wouldn't worry about wheel to tire width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can run those tires on those wheels. Issue may be rubbing as you stated. I ran 12.5's on 7" wide wheels for years without issue. I also run 285's on my truck's stock 6.5" wide wheels

Stock JK 17" wheels are 7.5" wide. You should be alright.
I do feel that you may need less backspacing, or you can adjust your steering stops a bit?

Back