• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisy power steering pump

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
I did the 4.7 power steering pump upgrade. I drilled out the pressure fitting like I've read. I only drill to 15/64 that is the same I.D as the line. I added a cooler. The cooler is mounted low. The pump whines about 1800 rpm. Anyone else have this issue? Yes it is a junk yard pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shouldn't drill the fitting. Only need to swap the XJ fitting. Past that did you swap the steering gear box? More flow on the stock box will be an issue. Also did you properly refill the pump?

I'm looking at doing this very mod to my son's XJ soon. Unfortnately all the pics I'm finding on the web are struck by Photobucket's idiocy...

I did the WJ/Durango swap a few years ago. One of the better, cheaper things I did. Huge improvement over the stock for steering power. Didn't notice any loss of turning radius (as reported by some).

Shouldn't drill the fitting. Only need to swap the XJ fitting. Past that did you swap the steering gear box? More flow on the stock box will be an issue. Also did you properly refill the pump?

Did not change box. Ok I have an extra XJ fitting will try that. Yes refill and bleed as per service info.

I put the a stock XJ fitting in the pump. Noise is gone. The assist is not a strong as with the drilled out fitting. I'm thinking there is a happy medium.

Nice.

I just procured a pump and tank from the junkyard. Will wait on install till I have a Durango box and the proper steel spacer plate to replace the (likely broken) Aluminum job.

Back