• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake master upgrade what whould i be feeling.

Dragonlich1961

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a 94 4.0 auto x-abs. 4.5 lift and 30's stock brakes at wheels. still 3.55's
ive upgraded to a 96 booster and master asemmbly and deleated abs, my pump fried. :gee:

I can't lock up my 30's on dry pavement but it defentlly throws you forward in your seat when you mash the brake pedal.
Stock calipers and abs drum brakes in the rear.

what kind of braking perfomace should i be expecting.
Thanks chris

Splelling.

I'm on a roll this morning!

:D

Stopping before the pedal is through the floor and you're axle deep in the back of a prius.

I wouldn't judge it by locking up anything more so you don't pucker up when coming to a short stop.

I can lock up my 35's in my 89' xj at any speed. I have the grand cherokee master cylinder and brake booster, and EBC rotors with yellow stuff pads on stock calipers. I would say about half petal pressure does the trick.

Something may be wrong with your set up. My 01' xj with stock brakes will lock up 31's...

I did the vanco black magic front brakes, also have ford 8.8 rears, and did a MC/booster from a '95 Cherokee, and I'd say the difference is between "oh crap, I'm gonna hit" to "this works just as I'd expect it."

put another way -- for me, it went from horribly broken to adequate.

I should probably adjust my rear brakes. The little self adjuster cables are stretched and I can't be bothered to through money at the turd axle.
Kind of feels like maybe a small air bubble. Not sure. I think I may try bleeding again. As I replaced the booster master propvalve drivers side line part of the pass side line and the rear soft line.

I pretty much have the same lift and tire combo. Plus the same master and booster. I have an 8.8 with stock drums in the rear. Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve.

To answer your question: no i don't think you will be able to lock them up, I cant with mine (and my motor is 180lbs lighter than the 4.0). But it stops pretty much on point. Sound like you are good.

Also, what jmg222 said, made it better but not the way I want it.

My 96 (with abs) had horrible unsafe braking, when applying full pedal pressure it would always continue to roll slowly. My 97 (no abs) stops 31s with authority. It will skid on dry pavement. Pads and rotors are higher end raybestos, brake fluid has been changed.

Not sure the exact problem with your system, but can sure empathize.

Professional bleed and new fluid possibly...

Quality of brake pads makes a bigger difference on braking potential.

Power booster makes a difference on how much foot you need to use to get that braking. It doesn't increase how much you will have.

Back