• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 First time build

XJGibb

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure where to post this. Looked around the site, this looked most appropriate. Correct me if I'm wrong. thanks.

Hey all.
Im new to wrenching and jeeping. I got the jeep bug last fall. I now have a stock 98 and a lifted 2001 xj.

the 2001 is beat all to hell with a blown head gasket. my parts jeep.

the 98 has a rebuilt from salvage title but runs well.

My plan is to build the 98 up into a fun toy.

I already own a few new parts.
Zone - 3 inch lift with full leaf pack and shocks.
JK - adjustable track bar.

the 01 came with steel wheels and 32 inch tires. K&N cold air intake. Rusty's off road sliders and skid plates.

Ill post some pictures of what Im about to talk about.

the 98 hit a deer I was told. the driver side frame rail seems to flex in and out ever so slightly when you turn steering wheel left and right.

My buddy says the "frame rail" is not actually flexing but everything else is worn out and moving around. (to me it look like the rail, though im sure whole front end is worn)
Along with this the spot welds that held the sheet metal together in the engine compartment (specifically the seam that runs front to back over frame rail under air filter box) are all popped.

this causes the sheet metal that air filter box bolts into to move around.

I just need help/encouragement/a direction. I have 2 jeeps and the wife is not happy.

Im feeling stalled out.

what should I do first?

install some frame stiffeners, then the 3 inch lift, cut out wheel wells so 32 tires fit.

any and all advice appreciated.

I dont know much. Just been watching bleepin jeep on youtube.

I need to weld the sheet metal in engine compartment back together?

thanks.

Welcome! Having more than one jeep is not a bad thing, but the wifes tend to think so....They just don't understand. I would start with getting frame stiffners burned in. It can be a PITA but definitely worth it. Do that before your lift because you'll have to strip a bunch of stuff off and it will be less work to do it once. Post some pics of the area you are talking about and it will help in getting you some more advice. You can also see if any peps in the CO chapter are close and willing to drop by and give you some advice.

Im acquiring Tapatalk now.

Even though the 98 has a "rebuilt from salvage" title. I believe the body to be in better shape. The exterior panels and doors are all intact and in good shape.
the 2001 has been hacked up around the wheel wells. Not a nice "tuck and fold" job like I plan to do but an honest "hack" jagged cut out around wheels.

the 2001 has doors that droop, and a rusty top. the under carriage upon brief inspection appears to be in rust free and nice shape. however this may be deceptive because it has been sprayed with some sort of liner. everything leaks. rear main seal. transfer case, steering box, all the joints.

the only sign of rust on the 98 was on some after market nerf bars I removed. all the doors open and close flawlessly. there is something funky going on with driver door but it opens and closes smoothly. Only leaks are steering box maybe a little, and or radiator hose.

both jeeps have the chrysler 8.25 rear end.

both jeeps have worn out components in the front.

Posting in the Colorado chapter....good idea. thanks.

ill get some pictures once tap talk rolls in. Im high in the mountains with limited internet speeds so...it could take a min. in process now though.

286c6e5fae4178ef9c4ebab03082aa19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The nut showing in picture is above the coil seat on driver side and also the closest air box retention point to cab. The frame rail runs top to bottom of picture. Top towards nose clip.

I'm looking at Iron Rock Off road frame stiffeners.

Need some advice.

Front and center enough?

I don't plan on getting too extreme these are mostly to help out potential issues

Doesnt look too bad, should be able to spot weld it back. As for stiffners, they are all about the same. I have IRO but not installed. Front is the and center should be more than enough.

I have access to a welder. I think my plan is to get everything ready for frame stiffeners, borrow the welder, do the above job and the frame stiffeners, then beef up steering when i put it all back together and add my lift.

I like the way IRO wraps around the frame rails, thats what i plan to go with.

may also cut and fold wheel wells while waiting for IRO stiffeners

Ill take pictures as things progress.

thanks all.
any advice from people who have done this before is welcome.

Steering depends on what you want to spend, cheapest is the ZJ upgrade or you go extreme and do a WJ knuckle swap. It entails a lot more but is a worth while upgarde if you can swing it and if it matches your end goals. For 3" ZJ tie rod, moog TREs, new track bar and some other minor things would be fine.

For the stiffners prep is majority of the time. Youll need to remove all the undercoating, then line up the stiffners and mark them off, clean the metal and burn them in. Theyll take some finesse to get in there and the prep is a PITA. Scrapper, heat and lots of time....beer and curse words dont hurt either.

Last edited:
I will order the stiffners today. Shipping is a killing me. $60
Might see if I can have them sent to a business in the nearest town. Might cut down shipping.

Thanks for advice. I'll prob start prep work on jeep in day or two.

Changed thermastat in my 98 last night. Next would like to remove throttle body and clean it.
Then might change all fluids. They all look good but it's been 6 years according to the window sticker. Time for oil change. (Still shy on miles to next change according to sticker. )

Yeah, S/H is a B. I got mine over Christmas when they had a killer sale. Just be aware that on the IRO they wrap underneath and may interfere with the control arm bracket. If you run a long arm it works perfect. If you don't or never plan to you probably will just need to chop off that part.

Back