• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torn front trackbar mount

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
On my 1990 XJ I have a Rubicon Express adjustable trackbar with super flex end. On my axle, a disconnect axle, the mount holes are ovaled from wear. This is a 12 year old set up, so has the older 10 mm bolt on the axle mount. I have read Rubicon now uses 1/2 inch bolt here, is this correct?

What repair options do I have?

a. weld in a new bracket, who makes these?
b. weld repair piece into my bracket?
c. Drill oversized hole in my ovaled bracket and convert to 1/2 inch bolt?
d. other?

Advice please

You've got so much invested in this XJ, now is a good time to dump that thing for a non-disco housing!

You've got so much invested in this XJ, now is a good time to dump that thing for a non-disco housing!

Ok , my housing is out of the jeep. I am rebuilding the arb locker now, it also needs new ball joints, but is the disconnect axle housing. I have manual warn hubs with one piece passenger side axle so I dont need the disconnect housing

What are the problems with the disconnect housing? Advantages to the non disconnect housing? Where do I purchase an non disconnect housing? I have sort of looked for them on the web, but only have found complete units with differential, bearings etc already installed. I got my arb rebuild parts already. So should I use my current axle housing or search for the one piece style?

I can weld so I was thinking of doing a repair on the messed up track bar mount, but if there are other advantages to the one piece non disconnect housing, Id like to know about it before I commit to the rebuild.

advice please

Thanks!

It's stronger!

It's stronger!

I have seen some pricey bare axle housings, 1000+ bucks!

I suppose maybe a junk yard one would be cheaper.

If the disconnect housing is so weak, would some thing like this internal sleeve kit be a good idea? Would this give me the strength simular to a non disconnect housing, without the expense of a new housing?

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/xjtjzj-dana-30-inner-axle-sleeve-kit.html

How bad are these disconnect housings? are they pretty much junk for offroading?

I am a bit lost right now. was hoping to go wheeling this month, but now this delay with the axle housing track bar mount, and the new dilemma if I should convert to the non disconnect housing, or reinforce my existing housing or just use it as is with the track bar mount repaired.

Advice?

thanks!

Shop. The P-n-P's around here charge 50-100$ for a axle. Craigslist is also great for parts. It definitely worth doing "NOW" while it's all torn apart!

The disco housing is actually stronger. You can get an axle that will fit just fine if you are worried about the disco. In all my wheeling in the past with a 30 disco, I broke probably a half dozen shafts, never on the disco side.

The disco housing is what I have, the disco is no longer used as the prior owner installed manual hubs. I have a one piece passenger side long axle.
Any thoughts on the axle tube inserts for strengthening the disco axle tubes?
I see truss kits also, but they all are for non disco housings. So they are not an option for me.
It is good to hear you have not had problems with the disco axle, makes me think I am ok using it.
I have 4.1 gears, 33 inch tires, stock I6 motor, auto tranny, atlas II xfer case with 4.11 low range, eaton locker 9 inch Currie rear end. jeep was originally raised about 3 inch, then raised more to 5 inch, short arm control arms, with control arm lowering bracket on chassis, this was done when jeep got final lift kit done. Currie Correctlync steering system, Rubicon Express adjustable track bar, and non adjustable control arms

Disco housings are not weaker than a non Disco housing. Adding a truss will provide more strength than pressing in tube sleeves. Artec makes a D30 truss which could be modified to work with the disco housing.

Back