• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak between engine & transmission

asymptonic

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
1998 w/ AX15. I have a slow leak since forever that I want to take care of. Oil is dropping from the silver metal plate right rear of the engine & oil pan but just before the transmission. Not sure what this is called. It's not coming from the engine, I've recently replaced the oil gasket to take care of a leak from the front of that, and the valve cover and oil filter/filter adapter are all dry too. Pretty sure it's coming from the area described.

What is it?

It is most likely one of two things. A leak at the rear of the valve cover that you can determine by feeling the rear of the head for oil, or a rear main seal. Pray it is the valve cover.

It is most likely one of two things. A leak at the rear of the valve cover that you can determine by feeling the rear of the head for oil, or a rear main seal. Pray it is the valve cover.

Valve cover gasket was replaced recently. Damn. Engine has to come out for that one?

If it's a slow leak, you can afford to wait for a while, just park it where it's not going to stain anything and check the oil a lot. The worst part is getting the oil pan/oil pump out. When you finally do it, take the chance to inspect, clean and maybe replace the pump, check the condition of your mains, and put a one piece Felpro rubber pan gasket in there. If you've never done this, plan on a full day, let the truck sit so all the oil drains and bring plenty of patience and rags. It's messy.

When I did my first one 12+ years ago, I was quoted $15 for the seal and $650 for labor, which made up my mind real quick, since I don't make $650 for a days work. So I started doing all my own work from then on out.

Check the oil level in your 5spd transmission, or do an oil change. At least you'll determine that the leak is not coming from the transmission.

What I thought was a slow valve cover gasket or RMS oil leak, it turned out to be a leaking transmission front seal (between the engine and the trans), on my '98 with a 5spd.

I wound up burning up the transmission, and having to replace it.

Check the oil level in your 5spd transmission, or do an oil change. At least you'll determine that the leak is not coming from the transmission.

What I thought was a slow valve cover gasket or RMS oil leak, it turned out to be a leaking transmission front seal (between the engine and the trans), on my '98 with a 5spd.

I wound up burning up the transmission, and having to replace it.

Fortunately I changed the transmission fluid about 6 months ago, and at the rate this is leaking it can't have lost too much. I'll check though. Inclined to ignore it and check the levels until its not summer here. Not much fun working for long periods when its >105 out.

Back