NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 26th, 2008, 18:52
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Project CRD MJ is born:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zluster
Yes, the rear will go SOA with an 8.25, that will be one of the first things done, mostly because I can get a free 8.25 for the rear.
Don't you still have to move the spring perches alittle to do SOA. I don't think the measurement is the same.
Old May 26th, 2008, 20:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm727
Don't you still have to move the spring perches alittle to do SOA. I don't think the measurement is the same.
Dunno, but theres no way I will be sticking with the D30, my friend has a 01 that we are going to haul off with some metal scrap I have, we will do a quick switcheroo with mine for his before it goes for scrap.

Not as good as a D44, but a quick and cheap solution.
Old May 26th, 2008, 21:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Dunno, but theres no way I will be sticking with the D30, my friend has a 01 that we are going to haul off with some metal scrap I have, we will do a quick switcheroo with mine for his before it goes for scrap.

Not as good as a D44, but a quick and cheap solution.
Pretty sure you meant D35 there. Is the 8.25 a 27 spline or 29 spline? Either way, and even with some bracket moving involved, free upgrades are always good.
Old May 26th, 2008, 22:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41079
Pretty sure you meant D35 there. Is the 8.25 a 27 spline or 29 spline? Either way, and even with some bracket moving involved, free upgrades are always good.
Yes I did, I even consciously thought about making sure I did not type D30 when I posted that, yay for dyslexia!

29 spline out of a 01.
Old May 27th, 2008, 19:54
NAXJA Forum User

ok someone else brought this issue up over on comancheclub, so the following is a bit of reference material, I should note the same information applies to anyone installing a newer PCI engine into a XJ, be it a 2004 4L or a 2008 cummins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root Moose
For the interior are you planning to make the air bags functional or gut them and use them to make the interior look complete?

I don't see why the entire SRS harness couldn't be transferred over to an older XJ... it's not like anything structural changed. the sensor locations and such should still be valid unless there is some kind of a ECU tie in with the air bag ECU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdesigns

Most airbag systems I've ran into have there own computer with them, most of the time you have to swap the srs unit with the bags. I know airbags also require a speed input too, so you'd have to get the wheel speed sensors too, or the vehicle speed sensor.. I dont know which one jeeps use.

The XJ ACM(Airbag Control Module) is a self contained unit that sits under the center console, there are no crash zone sensors as many other airbag systems have, merely the accelerometer/safing sensor located in the module.

There is not a direct connection between the ACM and the vehicle speed sensor, The XJ ACM does use the CCD bus connect, though the wiring diagrams seem to indicate that it connects to the gauge cluster(presumably for the airbag light) and the data link connector(for diagnostic).

Regardless I still have some concern that the ACM will need the vehicle speed information available on the CCD bus. This is a problem because the KJ CRD ECU uses the newer PCI bus.

If the vehicle speed information is needed for the ACM to operate properly then I will use a XJ CCD PCM(basically a 97-01 XJ PCM) connect the 5V supply, ground, and speed sensor signal back to the XJ PCM where needed, and connect the PCM to switched power as needed. This will then take the speed signal coming from the speedo pickup and broadcast it via the CCD bus. Since the vehicle is getting rewired with the PCI bus for all critical functions the CCD will be a secondary bus system that only contains information for the ACM.

So by doing it this way I can ensure that the airbag systems will still remain functional.
Old May 27th, 2008, 20:01
NAXJA Forum User

Of course the difficult part of this is...

How exactly to test.

Old May 27th, 2008, 20:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root Moose
Of course the difficult part of this is...

How exactly to test.

Ha, ya, guess I won't ever know for sure untill something bad happens!
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:44
NAXJA Forum User

I wouldn't sweat it. Worst case - they don't go off and you get the same level of safety as a regular MJ.

I'm quite jazzed about this swap you are doing. Looking forward to updates and the final product. I need to dig into the FSM and read up on the ACM.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:52
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Ha, ya, guess I won't ever know for sure untill something bad happens!
Hook it up with the accelorameter on a piece of plywood and smack the plywood with a hammer and see what happens.

Be sure to post a video.
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:09
NAXJA Forum User

Thumbs up Re: Project CRD MJ is born:

Damn you Sam, I'm right in the middle of a move and a house resto job and you get to do the fun stuff. I've been gathering parts for a bit now but you are leaps ahead of me. I sourced the Diesel XJ information panel from a place in Australia for cheap. Anyhoo, good luck and take good notes and pics because I'm going to be bothering you on it in a few months.
-Chris
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesBrosChris
Damn you Sam, I'm right in the middle of a move and a house resto job and you get to do the fun stuff. I've been gathering parts for a bit now but you are leaps ahead of me. I sourced the Diesel XJ information panel from a place in Australia for cheap. Anyhoo, good luck and take good notes and pics because I'm going to be bothering you on it in a few months.
-Chris

Ya, its a small part so it should be pretty cheap.

My CRD swap was going to be into an XJ when I was bidding on wrecked KJs, but when I found this engine I decided to go in a MJ because of the manual.

What engine will you be going with?
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:37
NAXJA Forum User

So the last bit of engine management stuff I need is an APPS. There is a diesel XJ that I could get the APPS out of, as you can see in the wiring diagram below they only differ by a single pin(which could be moved), the real concern is if the APPS returns the same voltage between the two.
(an Accelerator Pedal Postion Sensor is basically just a big POT=Potentiometer)

Now I could use a 05+ CRD POT, which indecently is shared by newer toyotas, but it would take a good deal more work to ensure I got the right voltage out of the pot.

So for reference:

So even if the XJ APPS does not return the same voltage a variable resistor connected inline could allow me to play around with it so that I got my throttle input right.
Old May 29th, 2008, 20:59
NAXJA Forum User

Well the tow truck arrived today with the MJ, battery was dead so I had to push it up into the driveway.

Put the battery charger on it and after a few hours it cranked enough for it to catch and startup.

Had the battery charger on all day untill about 6:30, took the charger off, started it once, then shut it off. An hour later I came back and it turned over once or twice and then just clicked.

Ran down to sams club and got a new battery, dropped it in and it fired right up. Moved it back and forth a little bit before backing it out of the driveway and going for a quick spin in my culdesac. Drives just fine, brakes feel a little soft.

Oil on the dipstick looks about 2 quarts overfilled(way overfilled), right now after it runs for a little bit oil just spits out from around the valve cover. I will drain some oil, degrease engine, and then take a look at things.

I saw no evidence of coolant leak when I drove it. Who knows.

Oh ya, and the parking brake doesn't work. Also, it was a trip not to find it next to the center console, I wasn't expecting that.
Old May 29th, 2008, 21:14
NAXJA Forum User

Is that a chicago electric (harbor frieght special) battery charger?
Old May 29th, 2008, 21:24
NAXJA Forum User

yep it does by the looks.