• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ AC R12 replacement with (Hydrocarbon 12 A) or R134a ?

Zilor888

NAXJA Forum User
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ AC R12 replacement with (Hydrocarbon 12 A) or R134a ?
I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ and it blows Hot air when the AC is on, the AC has a R12 sticker on it, I have no idea if it had ever been filled since it was new or not, I'm not sure if I would need to get a Vacuum Pump HVAC A/C Refrigeration Kit AC Manifold Gauge Set to get the old residue out first or not. Any advice would be great.

I am considering getting this R12 Replacement that I saw on ebay, (which is really Hydrocarbon 12) Lots of them have sold, my other choice is to just put in R134a, but the R12 Replacement looks like a way to go also, my Jeep has 206k on the motor. The compressor turns on when I turn on the AC. Its just blowing Hot. Since its blowing hot it is probably empty.

This is what the person from ebay told me.
“Look in my eBay store for a complete kit with r12 adapter. My refrigerant is Hydrocarbon 12 A. It is not 134A. Works great and r12 and 134 systems. Very similar to the new refrigerant that is put in all the new cars. Easy on older compressors and very cold. Instructions are included and you may call me for help if you need help”

I can't speak to the HC12A, but I had my 92 converted to R134 10-15 years ago, and it seems to have taken well to it (original compressor) - blows plenty cold from what I can tell.

You say the compressor's "coming on" - I take it you mean the clutch on the compressor engages? I'd expect that to either not engage at all or disengage within a second or two if there's insufficient charge in the system (but I could be wrong), as I think there's a pressure switch somewhere in the system that's supposed to prevent the compressor from running if the system's undercharged.

I'd put the gauges on and check that before worrying about buying anything to recharge it with - if it's or low, you have a leak you'll need to address; if it's .

HC12a is a combo of Propane and Isobutane and thus extremely flammable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HC-12a

According to the EPA:

https://www.epa.gov/mvac/questions-...drocarbons-hcs-motor-vehicle-air-conditioners

1. Is it safe to use hydrocarbon (HC) refrigerants in motor vehicle air conditioners (MVACs)?

No. HC refrigerants, such as propane, are highly flammable and are not acceptable alternatives for MVACs under the Clean Air Act and the EPA’s Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) Program.

2. What are the safety risks of using HCs in MVACs?

The EPA strongly advises against using HC refrigerants in MVACs. The use of these refrigerants in MVACs can result in fire or explosion, possibly causing injury and property damage. It may also void your car’s warranty.

3. Under EPA regulations, can any flammable HC refrigerant or HC refrigerant blends be used in MVACs?

Given concerns for safety, there are no HC refrigerants listed as acceptable by the EPA’s SNAP Program for use in MVACs. All flammable refrigerants, except two non-HC refrigerants: R-152a (also known as HFC-152a) and R-1234yf (HFO-1234yf), are unacceptable for use in new and retrofit MVACs. Importantly, R-152a and R-1234yf are acceptable for new MVACs only, where there are built-in safety features.

4. Are HC refrigerants available for sale on the open market?

While unsafe and not approved under the EPA’s SNAP Program, HC refrigerants for use in MVACs can be purchased online and in stores, often in small cans. These cans can only be sold to certified technicians under CAA Sections 608 or 609, unless the cans have a self-sealing valve. They are sometimes advertised as replacements for refrigerants such as R-134a and R-1234yf. They have been sold under a variety of names, including ZeroR AC Refrigerant and Arctic Air for HFO-1234yf. The advertisements for these products may not mention that the alternative is a HC, such as propane, or a blend of HCs, or clearly state the safety risks associated with use of the product.

Isn't a retro fit kit pretty cheap? Yes they are not supposed to come on below a certain pressure threshold, so you have at least the minimum required for it to come on.

Back