• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231-242 tc swap questions

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Considering this option, have searched but came up empty with an answer to this question. I have my dd, a 93 with 231 aw4 and am considering swapping my old 87's 242 tc(also aw4), I realize there is a spline issue with the output shaft from pre 91's to post 91's. My question is, is this a problem that can be fixed with a new input shaft to accept the tranny shaft. Can I swap the one out of the 231 and put it in the 242 or do I have to buy one... any help would be appreciated. Thanks

tkjeeper said:
Considering this option, have searched but came up empty with an answer to this question. I have my dd, a 93 with 231 aw4 and am considering swapping my old 87's 242 tc(also aw4), I realize there is a spline issue with the output shaft from pre 91's to post 91's. My question is, is this a problem that can be fixed with a new input shaft to accept the tranny shaft. Can I swap the one out of the 231 and put it in the 242 or do I have to buy one... any help would be appreciated. Thanks

your '87 will be 21 spline. your '93 will be 23. not gonna work. either a 21 spline tranny(bad choice, maybe free if you have one laying around) or a 23 spline 242.

my dd loves it's 242. there is nothing quite as nice to play in the snow with than 242.

SUA SPONTE said:
not trying to hijack but i have a related question- will a ax-15 accept a 242?

if the spline count matches yes. but don't forget it is longer and driveshafts may need length modifications. this would be an excellent time to to do the sye and front ds combo.

tkjeeper said:

Yes, you can swap. The input shafts are interchangable between the 231 and 242 so you can reuse the input from your old 231 in the 242.

cumorglas said:
if the spline count matches yes. but don't forget it is longer and driveshafts may need length modifications. this would be an excellent time to to do the sye and front ds combo.

To clarify. The AX15 is SHORTER than the AW4, therefore you'll want a LONGER driveshaft if you swap trannies. But if you're swapping t-cases, the 231 and 242 are the same length. No driveshaft changes needed there.

And I love my 242 with my AX15. :)

I went from a 242 to a 231 with no issues. . . I had to experiment with different input shafts though. I knew there were different spline counts, but wasn't aware there were different hub depths on the input shaft.

It was good experience pulling it apart a couple of times :).

you can use the 242 but will have to split both cases to swap out the input from the 231 to the 242.

As a follow up, I will be installing a sye to the 242 before I swap it, is it possible to specify the sye for a 23 spline 242 input shaft and fix it that way? Thanks for the replies all.

tkjeeper said:
As a follow up, I will be installing a sye to the 242 before I swap it, is it possible to specify the sye for a 23 spline 242 input shaft and fix it that way? Thanks for the replies all.

The input of the t-case is completely irrelevant in regards to an SYE.

There are only a few options with SYEs on 242s. Either a hack and tap of some sort, or Tom Woods. There is not HD SYE for the 242. I'm running a H&T myself.

as stated the input and sye are totally different and irrelevant to eachother

Now that I have had the thing apart and back together I see of course the main shaft has nothing to do with the input shaft.

Back