• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Starter?

JeepinKrannyMan

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ got towed yesterday because it wouldn't start. When it got to the garage it would start fine. It sat for an hour before the tow truck go there and still nothing. Right now I'm waiting for the tow truck to get here again. I tried banging on the starter with no results, all the connections are tight but when the key is turned it doesn't even try to turn over. I was thinking maybe it's the starter soleniod or relay. Any ideas? This is really frusterating expecially because I'm at school and I don't have any tools so I'm going to have to pay someone to fix it, any help would be appreciated!

All you need is a couple of small wrenches and you can slide under it in a parking lot. Take the starter to Kragens/Autozone or whatever you have around and they will bench-test it for free. I'm sure someone can tell you what the exact sizes of the wrenches would be and they would be a ton cheaper than tow trucks and mechanics. I even got a starter with a lifetime warranty so if it goes again, they'll just replace it. Same goes with your alternator.

I agree on the ease of removal. Worst case you could do it with a crescent wrench and less than 5 minutes of your time to remove it. There are 2 bolts that hold the starter in place, and 2 nuts that hold the electrical connector...that's it!

As recommended above, just take it in to an auto part store to bench test it. If fine, no biggee. If not, then you just a new one while you're there...

Ivan

Thanks, I ended up taking the starter off while I was waiting for the truck to get here (it took 2 hours) and I just sent them away. I'm going to drop the starter off at Autozone or Pepboys as soon as I can find a ride. Thanks for the input, I didn't even think about them being able to test it.

Are you sure it's the NSS? Mine wouldn't start a while back and someone tried to convince me that was the problem. I brought it a shop I trust and they found that all it needed was a new power lead from the battery to the starter. One $10 part later (which is now all upgraded....should have done it then :laugh3: ) and it starts better than before! IMHO it's a much cheaper thing to try first before messing with your NSS. HTH!

Hmmm... at least you now know it wasn't your starter. Here's a write up on rebuilding your NSS at THIS SITE that would be of use to you...

Ivan

JeepinKrannyMan said:
My XJ got towed yesterday because it wouldn't start. When it got to the garage it would start fine. It sat for an hour before the tow truck go there and still nothing. Right now I'm waiting for the tow truck to get here again. I tried banging on the starter with no results, all the connections are tight but when the key is turned it doesn't even try to turn over. I was thinking maybe it's the starter soleniod or relay. Any ideas? This is really frusterating expecially because I'm at school and I don't have any tools so I'm going to have to pay someone to fix it, any help would be appreciated!

I know this sounds stupid, but start with the simple things first like the battery. Does the jeep have power to say run the headlights? I would think a failing starter would give you hint before dying.

tompatjr said:
I know this sounds stupid, but start with the simple things first like the battery. Does the jeep have power to say run the headlights? I would think a failing starter would give you hint before dying.

I agree. From my experiences with dead starters, don't they usually start doing that "click" noise before they completely crap out? Most times when they start doing that you can just keep trying and it will catch a good spot and start right up. Haven't really heard of them just stopping like that. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

99XJSPORT06 said:
I agree. From my experiences with dead starters, don't they usually start doing that "click" noise before they completely crap out? Most times when they start doing that you can just keep trying and it will catch a good spot and start right up. Haven't really heard of them just stopping like that. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Most of the time that is correct. There can be exceptions but those are very rare.

As far as qualifying the starter/NSS is concerned, y'all need to know how to jump the solenoid control wire on the starter relay of XJ's like my '89. I even showed my wife how to do it and it's saved a AAA tow over the years. At the starter relay behind the battery, pull the plug - small green wire running to the starter solenoid and touch it to the B+ lead on the relay. If you have ignition on and your battery, starter, cables are good, you'll start. It will even start in gear this way so make sure it's in park/neutral before doing this.

so if it dosnt start when touching the wire to b + you have any ideas from there posibley a dead starter im in the middle of trying to figure out why my jeep wount start ive already cleaned the nss switch today ill pull my starter and bech test it

dizank said:
so if it dosnt start when touching the wire to b + you have any ideas from there posibley a dead starter im in the middle of trying to figure out why my jeep wount start ive already cleaned the nss switch today ill pull my starter and bech test it

If you got the correct wire running to the starter solenoid and it does nothing when touched to B+ then you either have a bad starter, battery and/or cables. Ain't nothing else in the circuit at that point.

Back