• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how should i fix holes on roof

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
when i rolled my jeep it ripped off one of the chrome mounts on top. now there is holes where the rubber plugs should be. i dont want water leaking in and creating a bigger hassle than io already have. What is the best way to cover these holes?

Is it just the rubber nuts that are missing? You can go to the dealer and buy replacement anchor nuts to replace them. They will give you a newer style nut that supercedes those pathetic rubber ones. I don't see how a person could ever trust their cargo to those rubber things. In a sense they really are only "plugs". They sure didn't anchor the rack worth a sh*t.

I guess I should have asked earlier but do you still have your luggage rack intact? Or was this the "mount" that was ripped off? Are you looking to reattach it or just plug up the holes because you're gonna leave the damaged rack off?

My rack was pulled loose after frequent wheeling in brushy areas and attaching too heavy of cargo. I lost a couple of my rubber inserts, but still had most of them, so it started leaking. I took a piece of packaging tape and covered the hole, then painted over it with spray paint to hold it permanently. It has held up good and it's out of site with the rack reattached. If the dealers stock replacements, Id go that route, but i keep my XJ as cheaply repaired as is safely possible.

When I bought this XJ the roof rack was only held on by a few of those rubber things. They either weren't there or they were rotted beyond repair. So the rack would flop up and down real bad at high speeds. I thought about taking the rack completely off and plugging the holes but I figured I may have a use for the rack later seeing as I couldn't afford a safari rack.

I will tell you this. It was !expensive! replacing all those anchor nuts. They were about $3.50 a piece. It was one of those moments when you walk out of the parts dept and scratch your head and say "Did I really just f**king spend $3.50 for a nut?"

These new anchor nuts (not sure what the correct terminology for them are) are about an inch long and rubber coated. As you torque down on them (I had to use a drill and bit; ratchet or screwdriver didn't really work) there are "wings" that expand to a size larger than the hole. Thus providing a better anchor point than those rubber grommet nuts. I hope I don't have to pop those things out someday. They seem to be firmly seated in those holes.

they arent frot eh rails. just the chrome lookin rails that go across the top. Its on the driver side that got ripped off, one of the rails i mean.i dont know how it came off but o well. So the dealer has nuts to plug those holes?

if your not too concerned about the look just go to the hardware store andget some roof tar in a tube or just some caulk, I suppose you could get paintable caulk...kind of redneck, but It will stop the water if thats all your after

dellstopjeep said:
they arent frot eh rails. just the chrome lookin rails that go across the top. Its on the driver side that got ripped off, one of the rails i mean.i dont know how it came off but o well. So the dealer has nuts to plug those holes?

I really could not understand your last post.

Are you talking about the roof rack? It should be a chrome looking thing. Two side rails with two crossbars that slide along it. Is that the thing you're talking about?

When I did away with my luggage rack I plugged the holes with plastic plugs from the local auto parts store.They were a perfect fit and snapped into place,I also used a little silicone to be sure.Look in the isle that has gromments and misc. repair parts(window knobs,screws and bolts ect.)

I was at True Value today and they had a large assortment of rubber plugs. The plastic plugs Mike H spoke of sounds like a good idea. They probably sit flush with the roof.

Back