• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flares: Rusty's, Bushwackers, None, Stock, YJ/TJ?

Which flares do you like w/35's and 6" lift

• Rusty's

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Bushwacker

Votes: 69 29.9%
  • Trimmed Stock Flares

Votes: 32 13.9%
  • TJ/YJ

Votes: 57 24.7%
  • None

Votes: 55 23.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Patterson

NAXJA Forum User
On my old Comanche I had about 5-6" lift and 35's. On my XJ I'm going to do the same, but with flares this time. I like the looks of Rusty's and Bushwackers. I know BW's are supposed to be stronger than Rusty's, but which flare will allow for maximum fender trimming? I am guessing that the TJ flares would allow the most trimming but I don't like the looks. So between Rusty's and BW's ---What do you think?

331349_3_full.jpg

I would have to say the BW fliars they seem to hold up much better. Rustys are to brittle and break realy easy. I love my TJ flairs and If I had known about using a set of rears on the front it would have been better but they are bang for the buck the best way to go.

Broke my rusty's with 8 inches and 35's. They don't open up the fenders nearly enough! Went TJ flares and have never looked back yet all the way up to 38.5's.

Cut them stock flairs!!

Can't beat it for being TOATALLY FREE!

fc668fc0.jpg

fc668fc1.jpg

well, i run no flares because i like the look i guess, but if i were to go with flares, it would be TJ. i really like the look of a rear TJ flare on all 4 corners of an XJ, when done well. i think BW's are too big and people say Rusty's are too brittle.

like KY Chris' observation: "Does anybody in Indiana run flares?!"

Pat
NAXJA member

MVC-005S---1.jpg

MVC-001F.jpg

YJ flares... only because

1. I need them to stay legal
2. They were the cheapest thing I could find to get the job done.

nyw01.jpg

the more I look at them, the more I like the look.

Ugly MJ ;). I have a set of the Bushwackers for a 2 door. I am going to tub the rear of my four door and move the axle rearward 1-1/2". Then I can use the 2 door flares. I can stretch them out a little too. I just hate how the TJ ones look, including the look of the TJ. Plus with the TJ ones you end up having a gap where the body juts out. Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:
56299791ivMxnw_ph.jpg Bushwackers seem to keep the Utah Highway patrol happy and the mud off my front windows.

I run none, mainly because I have hugely cut front fenders, and my XJ had one missing when I bought it. (easier to peel the other 3 off and cut/beat than install one LOL)

Drawbacks include getting a huge mudbath from 33x12.5 on 4" BS and potential for tickets (NC cops must be slack, so far)

Positives include $350-400 to spend elsewhere, and not having to cry when a $100 flare gets fed to a rock or tree. Also when it's rainy (like today was) it throws the most exquisite roostertails...almost like a DIY free carwash :D

So far I am leaning towards the Bushwackers. I like the simple look of Rusty's, but they appear to break way too easily. I guess I will go with the durable Bushwackers. I here you can trim them for some more clearance.

NC cops are so slack! I live in VA beach and go to cape hatterous alot. The ford f150-350's i see jacked up 12" with 44's are everywhere! Are ther even truck laws in NC?:D

Hiya... I have had Rusty's flares a almost a year now, and no breaks yet. They have hit a muddy wall thing, a tree, a tire, and a telephone pole. From what everyone has been saying, I should not have whole flares anymore... But i do! So they are, to me, tougher then you would think. My vote for Rusty's!

My vote was for the TJ flares, since that is what I run. I liked the look and the price. They flex/scratch behind the rocks but have not broke like some of the guys with the Rusty's sets have.

Flareless and trimmed. I love the look. The more I see it the more I like it. Looks way better than it did with flares. But my XJ looks a bit smaller because the wheel openings are bigger to.

Have TJ flares for 2 reasons, first they open up the fenders like nothing else, second they were nearly free :D

I need the flares mainly to be street legal, german cops don't understand our needs :D :D

Ok, Heres my deal, I have or had Bushwhackers,
If you plan on wheeling hard or at Tellico and dont
care about body damage,
dont spend the money on them.
I know from experiance, the bolt that holds them on pop
right through the flare when you hang them on something.
Sometime It doesn't take much either, just catch
them just right and pop, their gone.
But you can put them back on with some wellnuts from lowes
If your creative.
If you plan on having a DD and not wheeling hard
They look really nice and allow alot of cutting of the
fenders.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

PS: by the way, I might have a set for sale REAL cheap,
with a little rock and tree root rash and mounting holes
a little bigger than they were when I recieved them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back