• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LS1 Swap Questions

/ZexGX

NAXJA Forum User
All - I have a few questions regarding a potential GM LS1 V8 swap into my 87 XJ 4x4 w/D35 front, D44 rear + Skyjacker 3" lift+shocks kit/other stuff. I will be picking up a plastic LS1 block (used for mock-up purposes) later today for shits 'n giggles.

I was planning on using Novak adapters/mounts and a truck motor (aluminum 5.3L or an iron 6.0L LQ9 or something) paired to a 4L60E and re-using the 242 transfer case, but was wondering about a few things:
  • Is there clearance to use stock Camaro/Firebird exhaust manifolds (i.e. a California smog legal swap).
  • Do you retain the stock transmission crossmember and mount for a 4L60E swap?
  • Has anybody here made their own mounts/fabbing to allow for the use of F-body headers/manifolds?
  • Is there clearance to fit a GM truck oil pan/pick-up tube instead of an F-body (low profile) pan (due to oil pickup issues with the F-body pan)?
  • Who/what did you use for the A/C system (if you swapped it in)
  • Could I just use an F-body electric fan or is that not enough to handle the cooling requirements?

Last edited:
Glad this got brought up. Just picked up a 5.3 and full width axles out of a 94 dodge 1500. still need the trans and t case also going with a bds 8.5 long arm

Talk to FrankZ, John D and Tyler(team willys) They've done 5.3 and LS2 swaps.

• Is there clearance to use stock Camaro/Firebird exhaust manifolds (i.e. a California smog legal swap).
  • Do you retain the stock transmission crossmember and mount for a 4L60E swap?
  • Has anybody here made their own mounts/fabbing to allow for the use of F-body headers/manifolds?
  • Is there clearance to fit a GM truck oil pan/pick-up tube instead of an F-body (low profile) pan (due to oil pickup issues with the F-body pan)?
  • Who/what did you use for the A/C system (if you swapped it in)
  • Could I just use an F-body electric fan or is that not enough to handle the cooling requirements?
1. You can use the stock exhaust manifolds, but you will need to cut off the mounting flange then weld the exhaust tube to the manifold (I've seen it done and I don't like it).
2. Ditch the Chevy crossmember and modify the XJ crossmember (easy).
3. I made my own mounts and use LS1 block huggers, but I did mine before they were available form Novak. If I were to do it again I would buy the mounts and the Sanderson headers from Novak.
4. I am using the truck oil pan and it hangs WAY down. If you want to trade I would be glad to take your F-body pan set-up. I am saving my pennies for one now :)
5. I am using my AC compressor for OBA (eventually), others have kept the AC functioning (Team Willys LS2).
6. 2 stock XJ E-fans and a good radiator (I use the Be Cool XJ/Chevy aluminum) would be the minimum for cooling. My set-up is great for the trails, but barely enough for the dunes.

Back