• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ Axle To XJ Swap Questions

Jared

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I found a 1986 MJ with disco front and 4.10's. My current XJ setup is a measley set of 3.07's.

My question is this: With the exception of welding up some spring perches on the rear, is this a total bolt in project?

I can get both axles for $335, or the whole truck for $500. The truck is minus everything involving an engine, but has trans and tcase. Also, a small fire has been in the driver's area which wiped out the dash, guages, seat, and headliner. It's a longbed formerly with a 2.5L also.

Think I should buy the whole thing? Will the rear springs work as some XJ lift springs, similar to the Dogde Dakota leafs?

Any info is appreciated guys, thanks in advance.

Jared

Just zap off the MJ SUA pads and weld on XJ width SOA pads and some shock mounts and pop it up in there...more or less :)

I was following mine closely yesterday, and I noticed that on my MJ to XJ 44 axle (presently with 33x9.5" on OEM Jeep 15x7" wheels) the tires ride awfully close to the rear leafs...just measured at 3/4" max... 10.50s on those wheels would be snug!

The XJ may have a slightly wider WMS<-> dimention to go along with it's wider spring separation??? I always thought the MJ had the slightly wider axle...but anyhow, wheels with less backspace help cure that clearance issue...

The XJ may have a slightly wider WMS<-> dimention to go along with it's wider spring separation??? I always thought the MJ had the slightly wider axle...but anyhow, wheels with less backspace help cure that clearance issue...

just climbed under the MJ and teh XJ same width to backing plates both D35's though

but the spring perches of course are in different locations

As far as the whole other MJ...if you have the room and tolerance for either parting it out or a project...plus the coin :dunno: The manual trannies & 207 t-cases in the 86-older are pretty light duty.

The #2 & #3 springs would probably work...cutting off the eyes if the main leaf is used. IIRC Goatman added some MJ leaves to his.

A LWB chassis minus some bed overhang makes a great length rig for Really Big Tires, or the whole bed for a trailer to recycle that 3.07 axle :)

FWIW I'm trying to hold my collection to 87 and newer models with 4.0l and 231 or 242. If I had to add a 4cyl (or had an urge to build one up) it'd have to be using newer fuel injected (TJ) engine/computer, and preferrably the AX15 & 231.

I am running a mixed mj/xj spring pack in the back of my xj and its giving me 5 1/2" including the mj shackle. I am using all of the mj leaves under the main leaf and three xj leaves. It rides nicer than my short AAL used too.

Back