NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > North Atlantic Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

North Atlantic Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2008, 21:24
NAXJA Forum User

Re: beater!

Your jeep turned out great man, especially for your first paint job...most of the textured spots should probably polish out, just get some 1500 grit sandpaper and a decent buffer/polisher...I use one from harbor freight with some more expensive pads and this polish...works awesome http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I remember when my jeep used to be clean and shiny like that...it was actually my first full paint job too. Here's a pic the day after I painted it..

Can't wait to see pictures of your jeep all back together, for not having even done bodywork before, you did an awesome job. Looks better than most of what I've done and I worked at a body shop for 3 years.
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:05
NAXJA Member

Here's what the inside of the doors looked like, they didn't get much paint on them at all

Now they have paint

I didn't get much else done today. The temperature started dropping and it got super windy. Tomorrow is supposed to be below freezing so I probably won't mess with anything then either.
Old December 31st, 2008, 15:14
Oh the huge manatee

I like the color.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 15:11
NAXJA Member

Since you're not supposed to wetsand around edges and I'm not going to polish hidden areas like jambs, I decided to reassemble the jeep first. This way I can wetsand and polish the flat outer surface, and then spot polish any inner areas that are left.

Here's a poor pic of the fenders, hood, and grille reattached and all aligned. I knicked up one of the fenders putting the hood on, so it looks like I will get to test my easy-to-repair theory pretty soon. Actually I am considering another surface coat after the first pass at wetsanding, just to make sure everything comes out the same color.

This is kind of dorky but it makes me happy. Part of reassembling the front end meant fixing things that were broken. I bought a mechanical fan shroud from a part-out, and also painted the radiator and grille header panels.

Tomorrow I will reattach the doors if possible.
Old January 5th, 2009, 17:28
NAXJA Member

Got the doors back on and realigned today. It took longer than expected but that was largely my fault. I painted the hinge pieces with Rustoleum dark primer, and then laid on a couple of coats of Krylon satin black, all of which took longer to dry than expected. Also I had to realign the door hinges which was a major PITA. The drivers door had the upper hinge repaired once already (it has a big patch around it), but the hinge itself is still outwards and I will have to use a BFH to get that perfect. The passenger door is also giving me some trouble, but it's not as bad. The other two are in good shape.

A couple of improvements while reinstalling the doors, one is that I replaced all the jamb switches with new parts, and I also pressed the pins from the lower hinges and bought some 2" long 1/4" thick quick-release pins (#98470A140 from McMaster) to make it easier to remove and install the doors.

Also got the hatch back on--the hinge pieces are like a jigsaw puzzle. It looks level but it got dark so I will have to square it up tomorrow

Tomorrow is supposed to be cold so I will reinstall the latches and stops but won't do anything with water or paint. Wednesday is supposed to be upper 40s so hopefully I can wet-sand the jeep then.
Old January 5th, 2009, 19:52
Oh the huge manatee

Do you have those quick-release pins on the upper and lower hinges?
Old January 5th, 2009, 20:15
NAXJA Member

Just the lower ones. The crease in the door blocks the top or I would have put it there, and kept a fixed pin in the bottom. The basic idea is to have one pin longer than the other so that it is easier to drop the door on (only have to get one hinge lined up at a time), and the quick release part of the setup only provides an additional release and is not primary means of removing the door.

Last edited by ehall; January 5th, 2009 at 20:20.
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:40
Oh the huge manatee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
Just the lower ones. The crease in the door blocks the top or I would have put it there, and kept a fixed pin in the bottom. The basic idea is to have one pin longer than the other so that it is easier to drop the door on (only have to get one hinge lined up at a time), and the quick release part of the setup only provides an additional release and is not primary means of removing the door.
Gotcha. That's a pretty good idea. Your whole project has turned out amazing.
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:36
NAXJA Forum User

Very Nice work!!
Old January 7th, 2009, 15:57
NAXJA Member

It's been cool and rainy so I've been doing stuff inside for the past couple of days. I got the door latches installed, but won't put the handles back on until after wetsanding. The doors are really well aligned and might pop my ears when I close them if there weren't a bunch of other holes in the jeep. BTW, the white spots are rain sprinkles, I had it outside for a bit so I could get the doors fully open.

I didn't have anything else to do on the jeep so I painted the trim pieces. Here are the bumpers. These took three coats of Krylon Fusion black satin with no hassle at all, probably because of the factory primer.

Here are the fenders. I had to sand these down and repaint them due to some spots and uneven coverage. They have about three finish coats on top of a couple of sanded coats.

This is the window trim. Look at the fisheyes... these things cannot be painted, since the blackout tape over the aluminum won't hold paint. I have to go to the junkyard and pull replacements.

Tomorrow is supposed to be clear and upper 40s so I will wet-sand the jeep tomorrow.
Old January 7th, 2009, 16:47
NAXJA Forum User

DAMN man this thing is already looking amazing.

Top notch work!
Old January 7th, 2009, 16:50
NAXJA Forum User

...missed a spot
Old January 8th, 2009, 14:38
NAXJA Member

Got warm enough this afternoon to start wetsanding finally (snowed a bit this morning)

First thing was to remove the obvious runs with 1200 grit. Here's a good example

Also removed some dust motes with the same 1200

Then I "washed" the car with 1500 grit to smooth it over a bit and get rid of small bits. Basically anywhere the sandpaper dragged got more attention... Wetsanding will freak you out

Let me get you a towel...

I still have a bunch of little spots where the paint is not even (you can see these in the door frame shot above). I will either go back over those with 1500 grit tomorrow, or may wait to hit them with 2000 grit and/or polish at the end. I'm not sure if they will come out later, but the grit I'm using at this stage is really aggressive and takes off more paint than I want.

I am really tempted to do another 1 or 2 coats with the detail gun, since the small tip atomized the paint really well. I just don't want to have to wetsand again after, plus I'm starting to get kind of low on paint and the 2500 front-end parts will need paint when they come in.
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:40
NAXJA Member

Studying about it some, I decided that this texturing is basically just a light orange peel that didn't form up, so just have to sand through it. I switched to 1500 grit so that it would not be as aggressive with the paint.

Second pass

Fourth pass

The temperature got into the mid-30s this afternoon so I had to quit early. Only got a few of the areas done, and it looks like it will take a couple of days to wetsand the whole jeep with 1500. Yeah it takes a long time but the results are good, and it's the right thing to do.

I will definitely have to put two more coats of paint on the jeep when I'm done with this, and then I will go over it again with 2000 grit.
Old January 10th, 2009, 13:33
NAXJA Member

I'm about halfway through wetsanding w/ 1500 grit. The left side, cowl and header are all done except for some areas that need an extra pass, and the upper half of the right side is done. I still need to give the hood, hatch, and roof a workout, and also finish the lower part of the right side.

I had to quit today because of the combination of water and temperature--I started losing control of my hands (dropping stuff for no reason, etc). Tomorrow afternoon is supposed to be clear and mid-40s so maybe I can get everything except the roof.

ps--you can see the gap in the drivers door from the poorly repaired upper hinge