• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 - 97 overhead console

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
Will a 96 overhead console fit in a 97 that only has the standard overhead lights? Or would this take some tweaking? I cant see that there is any Major difference... or?

Can I just take out the lights and pop this thing in?

i am pretty sure the 97-01 units are different from the pre 97 models. Remember you'll likely also need the harness and temp sensor. You may be able to get a 96 to physically fit but i'd wonder about the wiring communicating with the computer.

Your temp and compass will work with some haggling of wiring. Your trip and gas mileage will not be displayed if that answers your question. I'd suggest getting a wiring diagram for both model years so you know what wires to splice together. Does yourr 97 at least have power windows or locks? If not the harness on 96 and older Jeeps was not in the right lower kick panel and you may have to search for the wiring. Also you will have to run your own temp sensor wiring more then likely.

Doing it right now... it physically fits. I aven't looked uderneith the headliner to check out the brackets just yet, and am trying to get the wiring done. It seems as though the overhead I picked up has broken electronics in it though.

Of course, if a 97+ were to show up around 150ish i'd jump on that. I don't know why peeople are paying 200+ for the 97+ anyway. It just don't make no sense.

if your just looking to make it for the lights, your best bet would be to find one out of a 92-97 grand caravan...it uses the same sournd as the xj and would look right even though the computer wouldnt work

Back