• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Salvage title, and similar title issues Texas

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
While I don't have time to fork with this BS, the time has come where it seems I have no choice. I am being forced at this point to apply for a salvage title (for a working properly titled jeep just because I accepted a few dollars more in payment for the accident damaged caused by an Allstate insured driver, where the payment tripped the Totaled Vehicle definition BS in Texas statutes, according to Allsate, seems I have no say in the matter, never mind the jeep is worth 3 times what they used, and never mind the repairs, damage was no where near what they estimated, and they refuse to even take back enough of the money (which I offered to them!!) to get below the Texas statute so they could undo this BS), then apply for regular / rebuilt??? title (thanks to the screwing over I am getting by Allstate, another story, no time....),

so I am trying to get details on some of the more nebulous BS on the forms, and not so clear directions on the state forms.

Any one know what the definition of a "component" is in regards to form VTR-61?

http://www.txdmv.gov/whatyouneed/forms/titles_registration.htm

Do I need to fill out that form, especially side 2?, if so when, and where, and how do I use it? None of the listed Items on page 2 were used to repair the damage, only wear parts, like the tire, wheel, 1 axle, 2 axle bearings, 2 grease seals, and some drum brake parts (drum and rear backing plate), oh and some duct tape. Hell some of you guys wipe out more than that on a routine rock crawl, and Allstate says the jeep is totaled (total BS).

So far I have been told I need to send the original title to Austin with form VTR-441, with $8. Wait till hell freezes over, pray the mail man does not loose the mail coming or going as only the original title can be used in this process. Then someday when I get that salvage title, I can then get the jeep inspected (never mind that it has a valid inspection sticker already, and 10,000 safe miles since the repairs) to prove the accident damage has been fixed making it safe to drive, then I get the impression I need to complete the form VTR-61 (not sure??), and file them together to get a new original title (there was nothing wrong with the old one!!!) oh, and wait for it,............... I get to pay an extra $65 rebuilt vehicle title fee, and then finally they will take my money (about another $50) for the new annual window sticker registration fee (which is what I need), and give us a sticker so it is "legal" to drive it again. Mean time the vehicle is unusable (not legal to drive).
Of course, I guess it could always be worse.

But all that aside, is there any one with recent title experience that knows how to easily navigate this BS, I would appreciate hearing what you know.

Last edited:
IMAG0595.jpg

This is the area that was damaged, rear door, and tire was hit (tire took most of the hit, but the force bent the rear drivers axle shaft on the front part only, outboard of the first bearing, which was luckily an easy, and not too expensive repair). But based on what Allstate told the state of Texas, this vehicle is a total loss, unsalvagable.

I guess it should be obvious to all that it is a totaled jeep, right? Just look at the huge massive damage to the rear door.

Last edited:
They may be talking about the damage to the 1/4 panel, I can't see from the pics very well, but once the structural integrity of the passenger compartment is comprimised, it's a total loss. In AR(I don't know about Texas) a body shop wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole due to fear of lawsuits/ fines.

Well you could always make a new dedicated trail rig....No inspection/registration needed that I am aware of. Just has to be trailered to the trail...

Sorry I know not helping....

I already had $4000 invested in restoring it to true reliable DD duty. The only real damage was to the outer part of the door, and the one axle, brake drum and brake backing plate, tire and wheel, and the body damage next to the door was more like a tiny parking lot dent, not large enough to have gone anywhere, and both insurance company estimates showed no frame damage, just dent and paint BS estimates. I have seen far more damage than this from rock crawling.... The rubber tire took the entire hit, and transmitted force bent the fron 8-10" of the axle about .1" out, outboard of the outer bearing. I have about 15,000 save miles on it since the accident.

Anyway, that is not the question here. The Texas forms and procedures are the real questions, in the first post, please. Please focus on that for now. Thanks.

I have also been given conflicting information from state officials as to the ability to resell the vehicle for over the road use. After going through all this mess. I also fear some bullshit got ya hiding under the rugs they are not telling me about while trying to switch from the salvage title to the new so called rebuilt title. I am told that all the salvage title does is prove I still own what I already owned,but makes it undrivable on US roads. I am told I need to some kind of inspection with the salvage title in hand, then apply for new rebuilt title before I can apply for new windshield registration sticker. But the forms for the rebuilt title do not look user friendly. 2 years ago a friend of mine bought a vehicle with a salvage title, fixed it, tried to get title in Texas to put it back on the road so he could sell it, and Texas refused saying the law prohibited it.

Last edited:
Perhaps what you can do is transfer it to another state where the idiocy won't be so bad. Title it there, get it cleared up, tell Allstate what they can fornicate with and what afterlife to do it in, then bring it back to TX?

Friend of mine titled his XJuggy in VT due to the same type of thing - rear-ended vehicle, salvage title in MA, would have had to have it inspected by the state police and signed off as "returned to OEM condition" (simply not possible!) before he could get a clear title in MA. So he transferred it to VT using his address there and it's now fully legal.

Perhaps what you can do is transfer it to another state where the idiocy won't be so bad. Title it there, get it cleared up, tell Allstate what they can fornicate with and what afterlife to do it in, then bring it back to TX?

Friend of mine titled his XJuggy in VT due to the same type of thing - rear-ended vehicle, salvage title in MA, would have had to have it inspected by the state police and signed off as "returned to OEM condition" (simply not possible!) before he could get a clear title in MA. So he transferred it to VT using his address there and it's now fully legal.

this for the win!

Well I got the skinny on it all from the Texas DMV of all places. Cost about $150. Mail the title in with the first form +$8 and Form VTR-441, wait 2-3 weeks. Get the standard safety inspection at a standard safety inspection place (about $45). Then when you have the salvage title back from Austin, go to the county tax office and apply for a new rebuilt title, Title fee $33-Form-130U, Rebuilder's fee $65 plus Form-VTR-61 Rebuilt vehicle Statement, and buy the window sticker / annual license fee about $50. Total round trip about $200, but includes both new window stickers, which we need any way now. In my case they said to ignore page 2 of the vehicle rebuilt statement which I had concerns about. Seems self rebuilt like we do is no problem.

So, one more question here for the group. If someone had a rebuilt title (previously searchable under the VIN number as salvaged) with the details as to what was repaired, and it was minor BS like this one, how much would it reduce the price you were willing to pay for the jeep, versus it not having gone through salvage tile paper work process?

This is a serious question, as I may use your estimate in the law suit I am preparing against AllState Insurance, for damages.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't give a tinker's damn, I'd ask you to show me where the damage was and see if the repairs fit my expectations. My 96 had zero damage reported but was hideously rusted below deck, and was likely the worst 2400 dollar vehicle ever.

That being said, ask some normal car drivers / non gearheads / "man on the street" types and you will probably get a very different answer.

if its a normal daily driver it may hurt it some....if its a XJuggy.....no ones even gonna care

Makes sense, it is and has been a DD.

Back