• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Well, you know when you start working on one thing... you pull parts and find other things to replace. I had to hammer the rotors off the hub to get the ball joints replaced. I've never had to beat off rotors before. They were rusted... so I bought new rotors and a beefier tie rod. I'll get it back on the road and on the trails one day... hopefully by the crawl.

That's the way it goes sometimes. One thing leads to another.

Nice Andy! So I helped Joshua install a cavfab OTA track bar and steering kit Saturday. I knew it was starting bad when I tried to remove his tire and it moved a good 1/4" - 1/2!" Ugh bad ball joints. So by 2 or so we had them replaced. Then he took it for a test drive to see if that was the source of DW. Nope. Saw the steering and the axle side TB mount was moving too. So we finished up about midnight Saturday. IMHO Cav-Fab is nice hd stuff but heims and shit. I'd never run it. But hey my opinion is biased. Ironman4x4fab all the way.

After the MJ was sitting in 3 ft of water at the last Jeep Ranch we went to down here the starter started to act funky and ultimately it took 2 folks to actually start it. So a new starter went in Sunday and viola it starts properly now.
Cal ordered Ironman lower control arms for his XJ so now if he gets rocker guards before the CRAWL he should be about as ready as he can be.

Purchased a 99 for the wife. Her 98 is being eaten by rust, probably won't pass state inspection.
First order is to replace the lug nuts, person who put those caps on then should have their fingers broken.

Went to AOP this weekend. It rained the whole time but we had a blast. Jeep took a beating and I’ve got a long list of things to fix. Friday I broke a fitting on the hydroassist ram, driver door and glass. Saturday (my wife was driving) we broke the traction bar and something in the rear diff. I bought new doors on my way home today so I’ll start getting those together this week.

Were your windows electric or manual? You might be able to just replace the glass. IIRC there is only a small fastener holding onto the glass in the bottom of the door. Pop off the door trim and it should be visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last weekend I finished my brakes (new rotors, lines, driver side hard line). My 4 year old son helped me quite a bit. I had a leak and I didn't know where it was coming from. Fluid would appear to spray the frame/wheel well on the driver's side. He pumped the brakes for me while I could see where it was coming from. The hard line to the master cylinder I replaced wasn't tight so I tightened it and all is fluid now. That was a huge help. I hope he gets the jeep bug like I have.

I also installed the Rusty's tie-rod and gave the XJ a tape measure alignment, greased everything, and now I just need to change the oil and it should be road worthy again.

Now, my tie jam nut is contacting the stabilizer axle side bolt head and the draglink tre is contacting the sway bar mount. I have to figure those out... any advise on that will be welcome.

Were your windows electric or manual? You might be able to just replace the glass. IIRC there is only a small fastener holding onto the glass in the bottom of the door. Pop off the door trim and it should be visible.

That's what I'm doing. I bought the other doors with the intentions of putting them on but it was much easier (read as cheaper) to pull the dents and replace the glass. Initially I got the glass quoted with Safelite and they wanted $285 for the glass which is why I bought the other doors. I found some used glass for $50 locally so that's what I'm doing.

I also bought a used ARB for the rear since it's currently open. Scored it for $350 locally.

That's what I'm doing. I bought the other doors with the intentions of putting them on but it was much easier (read as cheaper) to pull the dents and replace the glass. Initially I got the glass quoted with Safelite and they wanted $285 for the glass which is why I bought the other doors. I found some used glass for $50 locally so that's what I'm doing.

I also bought a used ARB for the rear since it's currently open. Scored it for $350 locally.

Nice!

Front frame stiffeners

bd2be05bfc511350077bf3bc5223c820.jpg

9e7d3f81ca240683d85988626eabb941.jpg

I took advantage of the great weather and worked on the Grand on Saturday. I installed a rear bumper shell and cover I bought at Express. I found some packs of Dorman plastic push-pin retainers at O'Reilly so I got all the shields and such secured. I also installed a new passenger side rear door panel to replace the one that broke. I new front turn signal bulb finished off the repairs for the day. It was a regular 3157 instead of the amber but it will do.

Back