• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 to 1997-1999 Engine / Harness / PCM Swap

Slideit401

NAXJA Forum User
Wondering if anyone here has any experience with this, I bought an 01’ with a blown engine and am struggling to find a decent engine with reasonable mileage without breaking the bank. However the cheaper more reliable 1997-1999 engines are everywhere for reasonable prices. From doing a little research the body / fuse block side of the harness is almost identical. Wondering if I swap engine, harness and pcm if I could run an older engine in my Jeep, I understand I’ll have to run different headers, cat etc.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

You could just swap in the engine as is. Or put on the 01 head (or upgraded Tuppy head). If you swap in the earlier engine, look at the Viper Coil upgrade (K-Suspension) and go with an aftermarket header, than the cast iron manifolds. The exhaust ports are larger on the earlier heads. I believe only 1/16 between the manifold port walls or such.

It would be difficult to say the least; they changed a lot in 2000, not just the head and ignition system. The reluctor wheel in the trans output is different so it gives a different signal and there is a speed sensor on the trans input shaft that earlier ones don't have. I think there is something different about the instrument cluster workings too but not sure. If you live in a emissions picky area your best bet is an older block and tupy head probably. When I was going to put a new engine in my 01 I was going to go with an older engine, use the older style ex manifold and build the adapter clips for the coil, Kansas could care less about emissions. But since it had given me nothing but problems since day one I scrapped it and bought a 95. Do not regret it. Ive said it before and ill say it again, 00-01s are the worst xj's besides maybe the 2.8 v-6.

Ive said it before and ill say it again, 00-01s are the worst xj's besides maybe the 2.8 v-6.

Couldn't dis-agree more! I own 2 2000's now but I bought one brand new. The only thing is didn't care for was the coil rail, other than that the 2000-01 has the most tunable PCM. I've never had any issues other than that.

OP, you can use other year XJ shortblocks but upgrade to the new design 0331 head and be done with it and walkaway. Your idea has a lot of problems in electrics and means a lot more work.

Wondering if anyone here has any experience with this, I bought an 01’ with a blown engine

BTW, what is "Actually" wrong with the motor?

Rod knock, sludge, quite a bit of metal in the bottom end, but the body is super clean so I couldn’t pass it up!

I picked one up, virtually no rust last year for $160. Virtually no rust. Hard to find them with no rust for not much $$. Mine, block cracked, axles, tranny gone, interior ??, roof has a large dent or depression, front clip gone. Still, rust free and $160 delivered.

As to your motor, I would wonder about pulling it and seeing if new bearings would fix it. Possibly the harmonic balancer went bad. I had one go bad and the main thrust bearing was shot. I had to replace the crank and bearings. Also, the Harmonic balancer.

Couldn't dis-agree more! I own 2 2000's now but I bought one brand new. The only thing is didn't care for was the coil rail, other than that the 2000-01 has the most tunable PCM. I've never had any issues other than that.

OP, you can use other year XJ shortblocks but upgrade to the new design 0331 head and be done with it and walkaway. Your idea has a lot of problems in electrics and means a lot more work.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is now my issue. What is the 0331 head upgrade im going to have to do?

Sent from my SM-A326W using Tapatalk

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is now my issue. What is the 0331 head upgrade im going to have to do?

A TUPY head or any of the New 0331 versions, they are usually stated as a "upgraded" version!

A TUPY head or any of the New 0331 versions, they are usually stated as a "upgraded" version!
Ahh, so a 0331 is on what motors? Can i keep the one off of my motor and put it onto the pre 99 block? Someone mentioned about them cracking easy in another thread...

The 0331 was used on the 2000-01 XJ's, you don't want one as they ARE subject to cracking. If you need one for those years you need to get a "TUPY" or a copy version.

Any 1987-2001 XJ Cherokee 4.0 L engine block or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, throttle body, fuel injector rail, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

If your 2000-2001 XJ Cherokee has an 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler or WJ Grand Cherokee. The 0331 head up through mid-2001 was fit only for scrap - look for a replacement with the TUPY foundry mark under the oil fill cap, this is the revised head that will last. Available late 2001-2006, this TUPY 0331 can be retrofitted in place of an early 0331 head without difficulty.

Any 1987-2001 XJ Cherokee 4.0 L engine block or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, throttle body, fuel injector rail, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

If your 2000-2001 XJ Cherokee has an 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler or WJ Grand Cherokee. The 0331 head up through mid-2001 was fit only for scrap - look for a replacement with the TUPY foundry mark under the oil fill cap, this is the revised head that will last. Available late 2001-2006, this TUPY 0331 can be retrofitted in place of an early 0331 head without difficulty.
Is there an aftermarket head that fits? Im in canada, and so far the wreckers here dont have a proper head.

Russ is using the new Chinese version with great success.

Russ Pottenger of Bishop/Beuhl Racing Engines

Back