• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd Vs. 2wd performance?

talon39

NAXJA Forum User
I just converted my 2wd 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L to 4wd. This included changing the transmission. It is still a AW4, I just swapped it for one out of a 4wd XJ. Since I changed transmissions I have noticed a significant loss of performance. It seems to have a slow mushy shift. It's not very noticable during normal driving, but very noticable when I get into the gas. I seems to take longer to shift than it did before and reaches 500+ higher RPMs before completing the shift than it used too.

My friend who has been helping me with the conversion said it feels fine to him, but then he doesn't drive it every day and has never owned an XJ, so he doesn't know how it performed before or what is normally feels like.

Is it normal to lose some performance in 2wd after converting to 4wd? Does the transfercase cause the transmission to perform differently in 2wd?
The trans we put in the vehicle is used and was said to be working when pulled from the other XJ, that's all I really know about it.

I have never done a 2wd to 4wd conversion but think about the weight you just added to the vehical this could be part of it. You're running quiet a bit different a setup than before I would expect a lot of things to change.

I understand the weight will affect the overall acceleration and handling, but would it cause the difference in shifting I described? Because that is what has me worried.
Input from someone who has done this conversion and their experience would be appreciated.

Last edited:
When I did my conversion I swapped transmissions as well but didn't notice the perfomance drop you are experiencing. I would check that the kick down cable is properly adjusted because this can affect the shift points, which may be what you are feeling.

How many miles are on the tranny? If it has high miles or has been sitting for a while, it may need a fluid and filter change or worse case needs a rebuild. Check the kick down cable first though to see if that helps any then look at fluid.

AARON

Thank you for your replies, I will check the kick down cable. As I said before I have no idea how many miles are on this trans. All I know is that is was running when it was pulled. Never saw the other XJ, but the price was right and I figure I can rebuild it if I have too.

What generally causes a sluggish shift? Adjusting the kick down can affect my shift points correct? But can it affect a sluggish gushy shift?

Can someone point me to detailed instructions on the Proper Throttle Valve(kick down) Cable adjustment. I found where to do it. Just press the button and move the cable. But what is the proper position on the cable at full throttle? I pulled the cable a bit toward the passenger side and the result was a peppy trans, that pretty much wouldn't shift when the gas was floored. It would get to about 5 grand and then I would let off the gas....no shift.

Also can someone describe what is the normal behavior of a AW4 in a XJ? For example if you floor the gas, how many RPM should it get to at each shift point? 1st, 2nd and 3rd?

With my tranny switch set to "Comfort," my '90 Laredo shifts at 25, 35 and 45 on flat road at normal throttle. The shift points will move around a little on inclines and heavy throttle. Mind you that this depends entirely on a properly adjusted throttle position sensor.

Now I've always had a flat spot when fourth gear kicks in that I've always attributed that to the torque curve of the pre-HO engine. In my "new" '96 Classic I'm happy to report that the flat spot is gone :sunshine:

Not knowing diddly-squat about 2x XJs, the first question that comes to my mind about your situation is whether or not there is a different TCU in 2x vs. 4x models. Maybe someone in the know could post the answer.

:revolver

Last edited:
revolver said:
With my tranny switch set to "Comfort," my '90 Laredo shifts at 25, 35 and 45 on flat road at normal throttle. The shift points will move around a little on inclines and heavy throttle. Mind you that this depends entirely on a properly adjusted throttle position sensor.

Now I've always had a flat spot when fourth gear kicks in that I've always attributed that to the torque curve of the pre-HO engine. In my "new" '96 Classic I'm happy to report that the flat spot is gone :sunshine:

Not knowing diddly-squat about 2x XJs, the first question that comes to my mind about your situation is whether or not there is a different TCU in 2x vs. 4x models. Maybe someone in the know could post the answer.

:revolver
do you realize this post is well over a year old?

oh well, I also strongly suspect his TV cable was out of adjustment.

BrettM said:
I also strongly suspect his TV cable was out of adjustment.

That's why I have satellite. Right Rev Den?

BrettM said:
do you realize this post is well over a year old?

Oh Crap, how embarrasing. I must have thought a search result page was the front page or something. Oh well, at least on this board it won't be long before the thread gets buried.

Duh,
revolver

talon39 said:
What generally causes a sluggish shift? Adjusting the kick down can affect my shift points correct? But can it affect a sluggish gushy shift?

in my experience w/ trannies in general sluggish shift (ie. no kick on engagement) is a sign of clogged fluid paths, low fluid, burt papers and/or steels, or dieing converter.

Back